Chapter 7

Waking up the next day, I start to feel a smile creep it's way onto my face thinking about my time with Alex yesterday. The conversation I had with Alex keeps running through my head as I try to think of what else he was hiding. I know there's more to the story but what? Soon after I blush as I remember what happened last night after he dropped me off. Was he gonna kiss me? Would I have let him?Who am I kidding, why would Alex want to kiss me. Of course he wasn't going to. Why would Alex want to kiss me? We're just friends. But why does it hurt me to think we'll never be more than just that?

I start to wonder what he wouldn't tell me last night after explaining his past with Brooke. I know he wasn't saying everything but, what else was there to it? What else could he be hiding? Not wanting to dwell on it any longer I shower and change to start my day. Heading downstairs I tell my mom bye as I hear Alex's Car outside. "Hey guys." I say to all three of them as I sit in the back with Emily. "Hey Sammi!" Chase greets me excitedly as Emily smiles and says hi as well. "So What's you're guys' plans for the weekend?" she asks all of us. After hearing a collective nothings, I turn to her beside me and ask, "What were you thinking there Em?" A bit confused I curiously stare at her shocked expression as she struggles to answer. "Em" she asks with a small smile on her face. "Yeah, I figured you call me Sam, Chase calls me Sammi, and unfortunately Alex calls me Shorty. I figured I would have names for you guys as well. Is that okay?" I ask them hoping I didn't say anything wrong. "Oh no! That's fine it's just no one has called me that before. It's nice." She says smiling and giggling. "Anyway I was asking because I figured we could all hang out this weekend together." I start to nod as we approach the school parking lot, and after finding a spot we all start to get out of Alex's car as Chase continues from where Emily left off.

"Yeah that sounds like fun we could go to the park again." He suggests as we walk into the school. "And Sam, since you gave Emily a nickname why not one for us as well?" He asks me. Surprised at this I stare at him with wide eyes then slowly start to think of something. "Well I could call Alex, Al but you already do and as you said when we met I want a name only I could call him that's unique so I'll think on that one and Chase nothing really can be a nickname for you from your name it's too...simple." I say noticing Alex's expression start to look like what resembles joy as chase on the other hand resembles shock. "Well I never!" He says dramatically making all of us roll our eyes at his antics. "You think on it Sammi cause I want a nickname to, it's only fair if your gonna give one to Emily and Alex." He says before turning and strutting, yes strutting, away making the remainder of us laugh. "Well my brother in a nutshell I guess. I'll catch you in chemistry later Sam." I hear Emily say before she also starts to walk away waving her goodbyes to me and Alex leaving us alone as I start to open my locker to get what I need out for a few classes. "Well that was something huh Shorty?" He asks immediately making me annoyed once again at the name. "How many times do I have to say it Alex, don't call me Shorty." I say with a huff as I notice another folded piece of paper sitting on the shelf in my locker.

Being discrete, I grab the paper and quickly shoving it in my bag as if it was something I needed for class as Alex laughs beside me. "And how many times do I have to say it? No can do, Shorty." Hearing the bell I turn and head towards my class before I give him a piece of my mind. I'm not that short.

Finding my seat, I slowly pull the note out of my pocket and unfold it knowing who it's from and what words it may contain.

I told you to stay away from Alex, bitch.

Of course it's her again. Ever since that first note landed in my locker that day I have collectively been given more and more each day. Brooke just won't stop. Each note being more hateful than the last. What did I ever do to that she-devil? Talk to Alex? So what it's a free country. However not wanting to give her the satisfaction of her measly notes ruining my mood I simply just put the note back and pretend I never read it.

The bell rang meaning it's the end of class and as I start to head out into the hall my path is blocked by someone. "What did I tell you before huh?" Looking up I notice Brooke staring at me with hatred in her eyes. Rolling my eyes I squeeze by her ignoring her comment as I walk towards my next class. Not making it far I'm roughly pulled to a stop as my body is turned around to see Brooke still glaring at me. "Don't you dare walk away when I talk you bitch!" She yells at me still roughly grabbing my arm in vice like grip not letting go.

"I have nothing to say to you Brooke. Just let me go and leave me alone." I calmly state. This is really getting annoying, what did I do to her? "No! You disobeyed me! I told you to stay away from Alex and you continue to follow him around like a puppy dog. It's sad really." She says. This again? Really? "Look I don't care what you have to say alright? As I've said before he's a person and he came to me. So if you want to through a tantrum at someone go to him about it cause I don't want to hear it." I tell her yanking my arm away from her grip, wincing slightly as her nails dig into my wrist as she lets go. Turning away from her shocked expression I try to go back to walking when I am once again roughly turned only to have my head snap to the side as a throbbing pain begins to happen on my cheek. Did she really slap me? Sure enough as I lift my head back up I see her with her hand raised by her head and breathing heavily as she stares at me as if she wishes I would drop dead in front of her. "I warned you, you didn't listen." She says lowly before turning away and heading the other direction.

"Shorty!" Hearing that stupid name I turn around to see Alex coming at me. However, as he looks at me with a smile adorning his face it quickly turns into worry seeing the red mark on my face. Gently he cups my face titling my head as if to get a better look before asking, "What happened?" Shrugging him off, I turn away from him and start to head to class which I'm sure I'm late for as I reply back to me. "Nothing don't worry about it, I'm going to be late so I'll see you at lunch." Before he has to chance to stop me I quickly pick up my pace in order to get to class quicker and to get away from his questions.

Pretty soon it's lunch time and before I know it I'm heading towards the courtyard where I see everyone waiting for me. "Hi." I say quietly as I sit down next to Em as I keep my head at angle where my hair will somewhat cover the red mark on my cheek as I rather wouldn't want to be questioned about it. "Hey Sam, as I was saying I think we should all hang out at the park this weekend together." Em says excitedly leaving no room for argument. Agreeing with the other two I nod my head noticing out of the corner of my eye Alex staring at my face every now and then.

The lunch hour consisted it of meaningless talk as Emily constantly talks about our plans for the weekend and what else we should do. Hearing the bell I get up noticing Chase and Emily already walking towards the door. "Shorty wait." Alex says behind stopping in my tracks as I know what he's going to say. Moving around so he's now standing in front of me, I see Alex bring his hands to my face and gently lifts it up so my eyes meet his. "Will you please tell me who hurt you?" He ask softly placing his forehead on mine. Closing my eyes I grab his wrist in my hand as I debate whether or not I should say.

Sighing to myself I open my eyes and tell him. "Brooke." With that one name I notice Alex's once warm and inviting hazel eyes turn into ones with hatred and rage inside of them. Realizing we'll be late, he slowly calms down and looks at me again as his gaze softens. "I'll take care of it I promise and Shorty?" He asks me while looking into my eyes as if telling me that everything will be ok. "Yeah?" I respond back in a quiet whisper as I'm so lost in this moment with his hands still cupping my face. "I promise I won't let anyone hurt you ever again." Smiling at his declaration I give him a soft hug feeling his arms slip my from my face and wrap around me to return the gesture. After a moment we pull away and start walking out of the courtyard as I head to my class. Before leaving I slightly turn with a smile as I say a small bye towards Alex waving before heading forward.