Chapter 12 (Alex)

I noticed the note on her locker. I also notice her grab it thinking I didn't see. I'm curious to see what's on it but she seems not to want to share what is written on the paper. Before I can try to get answers from her the bell rings meaning lunch is over. I softly grab her hand stopping her for a minute. "Shorty, I know you have a note that was on your locker. Do you care to share what it says?" I ask her quietly as I'm sure she doesn't want the other two know. "It's nothing Alex, I promise." Not entirely believing her, I still let go so she can get to class. I'm gonna make it my mission to find out what's going on.

Pretty soon it's the end of the school day and I start my way towards Sam's locker before I miss her. Seeing her reach it I quickly rush over to her to ask her about the note. "Will you please tell me what the note says Shorty? And don't you dare say it's nothing I noticed you grabbed it from your locker and I noticed your nervousness when you read it." I tell her while looking into her eyes. I can tell she's debating on telling me as she chews on the inside of her cheek and fidgets. Hoping to ease her nerves I softly grab her hand and lean my forehead on hers as I maintain eye contact. "I promise Shorty, it'll be okay, just tell me." Silently she reaches into her pocket with her free hand taking it out and handing it to me. Carefully I unfold the piece of paper and start to read it.

Better watch your back Sam, who knows what could happen.

After reading it, my eyes sharpen in rage and my fist closes right around the paper. "Do you have an idea on who it is?" I ask her trying to keep my cool. Who would want to threaten her like this? Instantly my mind drifts to Brooke. Would she really stoop this low to threaten her because she hangs out with me? Is she that demented? I mean ever since that day she has been being rude to Sam. Rude is an understatement, she fucking slapped her that first day. "I don't know who did this, I just feel uncomfortable about it." She responds quietly. Focusing back onto her face I notice her eyes start to water as she tries to hold back her tears. Wanting to comfort her I pull her into a hug as softly stroke her hair. "Shh, Shorty. It's okay. Nothing will happen to you." I try to reassure her. "Do you think maybe it was Brooke?" I ask softly trying to figure out who it was. Shrugging she pulls back to look at my face again. "I'm not sure maybe? But I don't know if she's threaten me." She says. Before I respond I instantly spot Brooke down the hall leaving.

Not wasting time I run in her direction hearing Sam follow me as quickly as she can. Reaching the parking lot I try to stop her before she leaves. "Brooke!" I yell at her causing her to stop and turn. Seeing my face she straightens up and smiles in my direction. "Alex hi, did you come to apologize?" Apologize? What do I have to say sorry about? Shaking my head at her stupidity I shove the note in her face as I demand answers. "Did you leave this note?" I ask with an anger behind my words. Looking confused, she looks between me and Sam as she responds. "Honestly no I didn't do this, however whoever did should've along time ago." She says shrugging before giving the note back. Glaring at her, I only start to feel even more anger at the girl standing in front of me. "What the fuck did you say?" I hiss at her. Seeing my face, she instantly starts to plant an innocent smile on her face. "I'm only speaking the truth. Sam deserves it."

Not taking it anymore I slowly walk closer to her and glare into her eyes seeing her face turn into fear as she realizes how angry I am. "Your lucky I don't hit girls." Is the only thing I say as she gulps nervously. "Well good thing I do." I hear before she's roughly turned before her face meets a fist. Shocked, I look towards who did only to see Emily shaking her fist as she glares at Brooke on the ground crying about her nose. "Why did you do that?" I hear Sam ask her quietly still looking like she's about to cry. "Because Sam, I saw the note over your shoulder and I was gonna ask you about it but then I saw you guys with Brooke and I got the last thing she said. You don't deserve anything she does to you." She says while coming close to her to give her a reassuring hug. Sniffling slightly she pulls away before she says, "Thanks Em, but I don't think she did it."

Confused, I turn towards Sam as she begins to walk away. "Are you sure Shorty?" I ask her not believing it wasn't Brooke. Shaking her head she reaches my car as if she knew I would take her home. After I get in she starts explaining. "I just have a strong feeling it wasn't. If Brooke did it, don't you think she's gloat about it? Thinking she won?" I have to admit her theory makes sense. From what I've seen so far, she wouldn't act clueless about this. "Besides she wrote me a note before and this wasn't her handwriting. Snapping my head to her direction, I realize I'm still driving before focusing on the road continuing to drive to her house. "Why didn't you tell me this before?" I ask her. She should've told me about this.
"Can I see this note?" I ask her.

She nods as I park in her drive before digging in her bag and finding the note. Handing it to me I take it from her as I unfold it and read this one as well. Immediately I notice the difference in the handwritings as I compare the two notes. The one that was for sure from Brooke is more cursive and too girly. However as I look closely at the one she found today my eyes widen as I begin to fear the worst. "Alex are you ok?" She asks noticing my change in moods. Not wanting to scare her I quickly compose myself as I send her a smile to not worry her. "I'm fine Shorty I promise. I'll se you later yeah?" I ask. She nods with a smile as she quickly gives me a hug before exiting the car and heading inside. Taking a deep breath I begin driving again to head home.

There's no way it was him. It couldn't be. Deep down I know I'm wrong. Somehow, someway, he wrote that note.

Dayton.