Chapter 6 (Alex)

The next few days pass by me in a blur. Ever since that day I walked up to Shorty at lunch apart of me regrets it. Don't get me wrong, it's not because I don't want to be friends with her, it's because I want to be more. But still, I can't help but worry. What if Dayton somehow found out? What if he uses her as revenge against me? I can't let that happen, I just now started to get to know Sam more as she gets to know me. I need to take her somewhere, where we can learn more about each other. And so I know nothing will happen to her without me.

Leaning against her locker, I wait for Sam to come so I can ask her to come with me somewhere. As she approaches me, I instantly start to straighten up and my mood brightens at her coming my way. "Hey Alex, What are you doing here?" Shorty asks me looking a bit confused. Smirking, knowing this will annoy her, I put my arm resting on top of her head as I respond. "Well Shorty, I was just figuring since we are now friends then we should hang out again and I happen to know a good place we can go." I silently laugh at the annoyed look that creeps onto her features at the nickname I gave her. Pushing me away she glares and stars to turn towards the exit. "Okay that sounds nice. Are we all gonna meet there or just ride together?" she asks me with a slight tilt of her head while we walk towards the main entrance of the school.

Suddenly I start to feel nervous. Of course she thought it would be with everyone else. "Uhm, about that. You see, I was kind of hoping it would be just you and me. Kind of like a one on one of sorts." I say chuckling with a nervousness to me. "Well what about Chase and Emily? Are they okay with it?" Shorty asks me. "Yeah Shorty. They said they were fine with it and that we should get to know each other even better alone." I respond recalling the brief conversation I had with Chase before hand as she nods her head and follows me to my car. Getting in, I start the engine and start to drive towards the one place I know we won't be bothered and I can be myself with her. After a few long minutes I realize how awkward it is in the car alone with her. Knowing it's because we still hardly know each other, I vow to myself that I will change this as I want her to be as comfortable with me as she wants to be. However not knowing how to start a simple conversation with her at the moment I give in to the silence and suffer from the awkwardness between us.

Noticing how I'm starting to drive towards the woodsy area near the school, Sam starts to look somewhat nervous. "Are you okay there Shorty?" I ask her wondering why she is getting so nervous all of the sudden. "I-I'm fine. I-I was j-just wondering, if this was the p-part where you kidnap me?" Not expecting her lame ass attempt at a joke I stare at her as the car rolls to a stop of the side of the road. "w-what?" Her questioning look and yes still nervous, snaps me out of the daze I was in from such a stupid joke. After a few seconds of just staring at her I start to laugh uncontrollably and loudly. Not expecting this from me, I see Sam jump in her skin at me and notice she slowly starts to giggle along side of me.

After Calming down from my laughing fit, I get out of the car walking over to her side as I open the door for her and wait for her to get out as I lead her deeper into the woods probably not easing her nerves about me kidnapping her. "There is this area in the woods I like to visit from time to time. It's secluded from others a bit, but it's peaceful. I come here when I need to get away every now and then, but today, I'm using this spot as our hang out time." I speak to Sam to hopefully try and ease her nerves about being alone with me. "So you could say this is your home away from home?" she asks me while we sit down in the grass underneath the tallest tree and surprisingly the shadiest.

Noticing me become quiet from her question, I see Sam start to get a slight concerned look on her face as I answer her question. "I guess you could say that yeah." To be honest, this place is like my home away from home. It's not my home where my family is, it's my home where I can escape from the craziness that my life has become ever since that incident with Dayton. "So Alex, why does Brooke seem to think your an object and not a person? I don't mean to pry if I am, I just don't understand why she seems to think she can own a person and control their life like she seems to try and do with you." Sighing with slight irritation at the fact Brooke is mentioned I turn to Sam and explain, "A couple years ago me and Brooke had a thing going. We weren't dating, however she thought we were and I guess still thinks so. After her being clingy and just outright creepy about knowing where I am and with who at all times, I told her to leave me alone and in a way she has but she seems to like to threaten any girl that tries to talk to me aside from Emily as she is Chase's sister." Looking at Sam, I can tell she sees there is more to the story as her gaze intensifies the longer she stares at me. "There's more to the story isn't there?" she asks me in a quiet voice as if it would set me off from hearing such a question. Sighing once again, I know I would one day have to open up to her more about it, however right now I can't seem to as I know I would have to explain to her about Dayton as well. That isn't something I want to do right now. "Yes, there is but I promise you Shorty, one day I will tell you but for now can we just leave it at that?" I ask her hoping she would. Nodding, Sam looks at me with a small smile of assurance telling me she's okay with it. When the time comes I would tell her everything, just not today.

After a few hours of laughs and story telling, I offer Sam a ride home as we walk to my car. After she agrees, getting inti the passenger side, I start driving to where she directs me wishing the day didn't have to end. I had so much fun with her, I hope she did too.  Once we reach her driveway I park and get out as well to walk her to the door. "Thanks for the ride Alex." She says looking at me with those brown eyes I love so much. "Anytime Shorty." I whisper back subconsciously leaning towards her without realizing it. Thinking I'm going in for a hug she quickly throws her arms around my neck as I slowly wrap mine around her waist burying my face in her hair getting lost in the comfortable feeling she gives me. After what feels like years but was most likely seconds she pulls away with a smile and says bye getting inside and shutting the door. Slowly I walk back to my car and get in to head back home with only a few thoughts left in my head after what just happened.

Why didn't I just kiss her?

Would she have let me?