Chapter 17 (Alex)

Two weeks. It's been two weeks since I heard her voice.

I knew the minute I called her Sam and not Shorty, that she would be hurt. I couldn't help it though. It was the only way to get her to keep her at a distance. I didn't think she would go as far as to ignoring my very existence.

Who am I kidding, I deserve this. Ever since I told her all that, I wish I could take it back but I can't. It was the only way.

Granted I could've said literally anything else other than that I regretted it. Cause I for sure as hell don't regret it one bit. I wasn't really thinking at the time when I said what I did. My only thought was what if Dayton found out? What would he do to her? I thought by being a heartless asshole, I would protect her but it only made me seem like the bad guy. I really could've gone about this any other way.

As soon as I see her at the end of the hall with Emily, I start walking towards them to at least explain. Before I have the chance to say anything, Emily beats me to it.

"No Alex. She doesn't want to talk to you. You've done enough." Emily tells me with a glare set on her face. Sighing I see Shorty tense while still looking in her locker before I try and talk.
"I just want to explain, I want to explain." I say with a pleading voice. "You ruined that chance when you broke her, Alex. What you said, what you did, that was low, even for you." Emily says to me harshly. "I know. I'm an ass and I should be treated as one but Em, if you would let me explain to her and apologize, I can make things right again." I say as I plead with Emily to just let me talk to her.

Suddenly I see her spin around so fast I could barely register it. Seeing her glare as well I begin to be filled with guilt and before I could say anything else my head is suddenly snapped to the side.

Placing my hand on my cheek I feel the slight stinging from the skin to skin contact of her slap. Looking towards her with a shocked look on my face I see tears slowly slide down her cheek only making me feel more guilty and my heart hurt at her tears, the tears I caused, until she starts talking.

"You clearly said everything you needed to that night, so don't you dare attempt to apologize for what you did. You didn't even tell me why you were being an ass you just did it." She says with a quiet tone but you could still hear the anger behind her words. Before I have a chance to say anything else she slams her locker shut and pushes past me walking away.

Away from me. 

I'm so sorry Shorty.

"What we're you thinking Alex? You really hurt her." I hear Emily say. Looking up I meet her eyes with my pained ones. "I know. I messed up, but at the time I couldn't think of another way." I say softly, not wanting to keep looking at her disappointed face. "There are so many other ways you could've gone about it that didn't include breaking her heart. including telling the truth." She says back to me. "You know why I can't Emily, it's too risky." I tell her as she starts shaking her head at me. "Can't, or won't Alex?" She says to me before walking away from me as well.

Not really wanting to deal with my last few classes or running into Sam again, I swiftly turn towards the door before running to my car and heading home.

As soon as I pull into my drive, my phone rings. Slowly I pull my phone out to see Chase calling me. Answering I start talking before he can lecture me also. "Look man, I know I fucked up with Sam, but I don't need another person telling me how horrible I am. Especially not my best friend." I say my voice breaking at the end. The other end is silent for a few minutes before I hear him sigh. "I just have one question. Are you stupid?"

Not expecting that response I blink a few times before I narrow my eyes in confusion, not that he can see. "Why are you calling me stupid again?" I ask.

"You have a chance to have something with basically the girl of your dreams, and you blow it! Look, I know you want to keep her away from Dayton but come one man doing that to her? That's a little unnecessary don't you think?" Not being able to take anymore I just blow up. "For the last time I get it! Okay! I'm a mess up, I broke her heart, I could've gone about it a different way! I get it! Now could you not be an ass for two minutes and be my friend?" I yell at him immediately regretting it right after. Before I can apologize, Chase interrupts me. "All I'm going to say is you deserve the slap she gave you and then some. You need to man up and talk to her."

I roll my eyes at what he just told me to do. Don't you think I've tried talking to her. "How do you expect me to talk to her when the last time I tried I got a slap to the face." I say thinking he has a few screws lose. "You just need to tell her the truth. Tell her why you did it and let her call you an idiot." If I wasn't so upset with myself I would have laughed at his remark. "I'll try." I tell him.

I'll try everyday from now on to make it up to you Shorty.