Tantrum (CH:20)

CHAPTER 20:

For a time it had textures; The pajama fabric of her load against her hands tightened lightly on her lap, the silky material seeming to liquefy between her fingers. He folded them carefully, smoothing out any unwanted folds, and placed them over his own clothing.

Then he had smells and let his mind play with them. Some were focused, some were not. The housekeeper had changed the sheets for new ones, leaving only the synthetic smell of clean clothes; Fresh and crisp. There was no trace of his or Herkus's scents left on them. A mute scent of lilac hung on her nose, light and pleasant, coming from the bathroom. Further away, on the other side of the front door, a lingering fragrance of perfume filled the room; Pink rose.

Hannibal cocked his head and stood as the scent changed to a familiar one. With long decisive strides, he made his way to the white painted door and unlocked it before opening it. The person waiting with a start, green eyes widened a bit before a fleeting smile adorned his youthful face. Hannibal returned the gesture.

"Are you a wizard now?" Herkus asked, his tone light and mocking, as he entered the room. His small body could easily fit through the gap even though Hannibal hadn't completely pulled away.

I have secured the bolt.

"That profession doesn't have a steady income, Herkus," he replied, glancing at the boy who kicked off his shoes before heading straight for the bed. "Our lifestyles will suffer."

The little cannibal gave a noncommittal buzz as he flopped onto the mattress before speaking, his voice slightly muffled: "I think you'll enjoy the opportunity to fool people."

Hannibal felt his own lips twist at that. He walked to his own bed, took the folded clothes, and placed them inside their case. Herkus turned his body and looked at Hannibal with narrowed eyes.

"If you want to sleep, put your pajamas on first," Hannibal recalled.

"Later," Herkus growled and snuggled into the pillow before looking at him again. "When is the flight?"

Hannibal paused, "In the morning, you should sleep early."

Herkus yawned, "Okay, I'm tired anyway."

"Did you enjoy spending time with Will?"

"Uh-huh. He's nice," replied the boy dragging the answer.

Hannibal considered it for a moment. Herkus had a habit of responding in a rather childish way when he was lethargic; it was quite entertaining to watch. He also noticed the boy's limp lips, without thinking his words well, while sleep clung to him.

It was a fact that Hannibal would explode, no matter how short the duration might be.

"I'm glad," Hannibal said, arranging the clothes to fit the shape he was looking for. The boy sighed deeply before snuggling up, his coat crumpled against the comforter.

"What about you?" Herkus spoke: "Did you enjoy spending time with 'bigail?"

"Indeed."

Herkus hummed and blinked sleepily: "Where did you hide the body?"

Hannibal smiled as he unzipped the bag and lifted it, "I thought you don't want to be related to that."

The boy pouted, "Not my choice."

Hannibal blinked at the answer. Curiosity aroused. Placing the briefcase near the dresser, he returned to the bed, intending to ask more about Herkus's comment only to find that the boy was snoring softly.