A Family Portrait (CH:24)

CHAPTER 24:

This chapter is a bit longer than I had initially planned (I'll tell the reason at the end of this chapter) and contained GORE. So for those who are uncomfortable with that sort of thing, they can probably skip it. This chapter will remind you why this story is set in the Hannibal universe and Harry / Herkus is a dark creature. Not that you guys need a reminder, I know, but I'm just saying it.

Over the murmur of sirens, murmurs of curious neighbors, and the sound of the dripping gurney, Hannibal remembered his days as a surgeon. Of screaming and crying. From the wailing of the dying. Of the mourners. While the smells weren't quite right, or as potent as the body fluid spilled in the ER, the loud noises and lights were analogous.

Inside the ambulance, Mr. Kelly had stared at Hannibal, his head bowed solemn, bitter, while his wrinkled fingers cradled the hand of the woman prostrate beside him. Her figure was veiled by the door, a thin head of gray hair could be seen through the small window, before the vehicle looked away.

Hannibal closed the door and hung his coat on the shelf as the last of the bright red lights disappeared from sight. Standing alone in the living room, he found the silence of the house somewhat stifling. Even when his son had been deliberately avoiding him, the house still had a buzz of life: at that moment the soft movement of little feet and the noise of light could be heard in Herkus's room.

There was none of that now. Empty of any life.

It was a novel feeling.

The meticulous plans were again interrupted. Recurring patterns in recent times. Hannibal couldn't even deign to be upset since the root of it was missing. It had been a while since she had such a sad day. Unused to the sensation, Hannibal felt his body grow restless. Apprehension grew.

His little cannibal had been kidnapped and the caretaker he had employed to take over his position was sent to Baltimore General Hospital.

He intended to return home to take the photos of Herkus and provided them to the FBI. A quick and simple task, but it got complicated when he found his employee in a near catatonic state standing in the lobby.

It does not respond, the eyes do not see. Aneurysm, Hannibal thought first, that would explain why she didn't answer his phone calls.

Hannibal was upset that, once again, he had fallen behind on his way. The aggravation was not an unfamiliar feeling, but the accumulation of disturbances had thrown Hannibal off balance for a moment. Only years of practice had helped him solve the problem.

There was still one issue that refused to leave his mind: his hijacked position.

Funny how Mrs. Kelly was still inside the house when her load had been outside. Although he once failed Hannibal, his employee was a responsible caregiver recommended by those he knew with high praise.

Hannibal had made it perfectly clear that he must watch Herkus whenever he was away. He had never stopped where the boy might have wandered, seeing no point to do so, but he had the impression that his trust in the little cannibal was somewhat misplaced if the scene at his house was any indication.

The boy had disobeyed him again.

Exasperation flared brightly when Hannibal came to that conclusion. Herkus had gotten quite bold lately, pushing his limits and had started to drain Hannibal's patience. There were many instances where the kids tested the limit of how much they could get away with, and unfortunately this time Herkus did, he was kidnapped as a result.

Perhaps Hannibal should have been more firm with the ground rules. However, it would be of no use when the child was not here.

Then it occurred to Hannibal that the boy might have left the woman at home because of her condition. A plausible assumption since Herkus was a curious little thing, though it was odd that he didn't call Hannibal if that was the case. Was the boy tempted to have his own private "adventure"? Herkus had been living alone before Hannibal found him, after all, Hannibal wondered if the little cannibal felt confined to the house.