chapter four

I quickly took my hair out of its ponytail letting it hang down, thinking that might make me a little more presentable. Why oh why did I have to be wearing the most unflattering thing in my closet today?

I was trying to adjust my hair but quickly stopped thinking it might make me look even more desperate. I tried to act cool, looking the other way and leaning against the desk, but my eyes were just too curious.

If he starts smiling I'll be a goner for sure, I thought to myself. Just as I thought it, he grinned at me. I couldn't think. I began looking frantically all over the desk for brochures. Oh! Where did I put them?

"Good morning!" He says. Wow. He sounds even better in person.

His hair was in a bun and he was wearing all black. I suddenly felt out of breath. Where's my inhaler when I need it?  I didn't think anyone could pull off black so well, but boy is he giving them a run for their money.

I just smile not knowing what else to do. "Hey, aren't you that girl from yesterday?" He asked me I just nodded pulling my hair back behind my ears obviously nervous. "I'm sorry again for my friends, I promise they'll be on their best behavior from now on," he said saluting me. I just smiled again and he laughed. "You don't talk that much do you?"

I laughed nervously. Looking anywhere but at him. Why couldn't I speak? Suddenly Sawyers voice entered my mind. Use your words sweetie. My eyes finally caught sight of the brochures and I grabbed them. "Oh I'm sorry, here are the brochures you asked for," I said finally allowing myself to look him in the eyes. My stomach turned. Oh no! Now was not the time for me to be a nervous wreck. My hands were sweaty, and of course my hands had to slip and all of the brochures went flying everywhere. "Oh no! I'm so sorry, here let me get those," I said frantically, walking around the desk and getting on the floor to pick them up. Why am I such a klutz? He hadn't said a word since I started acting weird. Great. He thinks I'm a total freak.

"Hey it's fine, you don't have to do that" he said as he came down on his knees and helped me pick up them up. He needs to stop being adorable before I jump his bones. My eyes went wide with my thoughts, scared of the thought that he might be able to read my mind. "You know," he said handing me the last one on the ground. "We have to stop meeting like this," he said laughing. He managed to calm me down, but when I looked right at him my stomach would do cartwheels all over again.

Making sure my hand was steady I handed him all of them making sure not to drop them this time. "Thanks," he said looking down at my name card and then back up to me. "Lake," he lingered there for a bit strumming his fingers on the desk. "Cool name," and then he walked off. I stood there, staring as he walked off completely shocked. And then he stopped in this tracks. He began to slap the brochures against his empty hand and then he twirled around and started walking back to me with that perfect smile. My legs were going to give out at any minute I just knew it. I tried my best to keep my cool.

"You wouldn't have happened to send me a message on Instagram the other day by any chance?" He asked, leaning against the desk, grinning at me.

Shit. He's going to think I'm a total nut case. I decided to channel my inner Ava. There's no going back now, I've been busted. I might as well go out with my head held high.

"Uh, yeah," I answered back. I could almost hear Ava yelling in my ear now, mocking me. Wow Lake! "Uhhhh yeah" that's all you got?

Charlie managed to smile even wider than before. "I knew it!" He said snapping his fingers. "Your name is really unique. It caught my eye, so I knew it had to be you."

"Oh gosh, I'm so sorry about that," I said covering my face with my hands.

He chuckled and said "hey don't worry about it. It was cute."

Okay now he was just messing with me.

I smiled and nodded, unsure of what to say to that. I began to shift in my place, rocking back in forth on my feet. He looked at me up and down. "Uh.." he scratched his neck. "So you work here?"

I smiled at how cute he was. I can't believe how nice he is, trying to make conversation with me. As I began to answer him someone across the lobby yelled at him to hurry up. It was a really tall blonde boy. Shit. Was that Owen? I asked myself. I'm pretty sure it was. Charlie turned around and looked at him as he began to point at his watch. "Yo Gillespie, hurry up! We've only got a couple of hours." Owen called out. Charlie waved him off and turned back to me.

"Sorry about that. Do you live around here?" He asked.

"Yea but just one town over," I said looking at my feet. I knew I'd regret not memorizing every part of his face tomorrow.

"Well me and my friends are going to sight see and do some activities before work," he said pointing at the brochures. "Maybe you could show us around tomorrow?" He asked hopeful. "I don't really trust my friends sense of direction. We'll probably just end up at some boring bar."

I laughed. And then I came to my sense. Did he really just ask me to spend time with him? I pinched myself just to make sure I wasn't in one of my cruel dreams. Ouch! Okay. Definitely not dreaming. "Um I think I'll be working-" I began saying but stopped when Owen called for Charlie one more time.

"One second, man!" He yelled back. He turned to me looking a bit irritated. "Even if you can't show us around, you should come hang out with us after your shift-" Owen called for him again. "Okay well I really have to go. Think about it." He said smacking the desk a few times with his hands. "And don't even think about blowing me off. I know where to find you, Lake!" He said walking backwards before starting to run off towards his friends. "Thanks again for the brochures!" He yelled back at me with another huge smile. I waved back at him.

Did that really just happen?

Hope you liked this chapter!

also.. thank you so much for reading!!