chapter twenty seven

After the party, when I was in my hotel room, I couldn't get myself to calm down. I tossed and turned in my bed unable to fall asleep. I groaned knowing very well that I'd regret not getting any sleep tomorrow morning.

We were leaving first thing in the morning. I turned my head and checked the time on my phone. 5:45 AM. Great. Maybe I'll be able to get some sleep on the plane despite being a very bad flyer.

I finally chose to admit defeat, throwing the covers off of my and turning on the television. I ignored what was playing and just let my mind go over the events of tonight one more time.

I couldn't believe what Owen had said to me. I couldn't believe that he actually had feelings for me. What made me feel even worse was that I didn't know how that made me feel.

I stared off in the distance, just letting my mind go over different scenarios. A piece of paper on my nightstand in my peripheral suddenly caught my attention. I thought about it for a couple of seconds.

Hmm. Maybe I should take Owens' advice. He's never been wrong so far.

I spent the next two hours thinking about everything I felt. I channeled it all into writing. Finally, when Sawyer knocked on my door, I looked down at the piece of paper surrounded by used, unwanted randoms, and was satisfied.

I ran to the door and swung it open, smiling at Sawyer. She smiled back but her smile eventually began to falter when she took in my appearance. "You're not even ready yet? Lake Baker! I told you to be ready by 8 AM. It's 7:45. Chop chop!" she said walking into my room and helping me get ready.

"Would you calm down for one second. Look at this," I said trying to get her attention by shoving the piece of paper in her face.

"Hey Lake, if we go down now I'm sure we can catch breakfast before Sawyer drags us-" Ava said, strutting into the room. Her eyes trailed over my messy, unpacked room and then they met Sawyers glaring eyes. "Oh, hey Sawyer! What the hell happened here?" Ava asked running to my side for protection. "Dude she's so going to murder you for making us late," she whispered in my ear.

"What's this?" Sawyer asked reading the words again. Ava left my side going over to read what was in Sawyers hands.

"What do you think?" I asked nervously. "I'm going to give it to Owen to show Kenny," I said. I proceeded to tell them all about Owen's meeting with Kenny. I was pretty confident that this was one of the best things I've written yet.

"Oh my god.." Sawyer started at me.

"Oh my god? This is awesome! Lake is going to be famous! Dibs on red carpet appearances!" Ava said holding her hand up for a high five. I shook my head, laughing at her, and high fived her back.

"As much as I'm incredibly proud of you right now, we have a plane to catch," Sawyer said.

Charlie and Owen were waiting downstairs for us. They helped us check out and load our bags in the car. The drive to the airport was pretty quiet. I'm pretty sure everyone was pretty tired. Sawyer did insist they pick us up at 8 AM.

I was sitting in the middle of the backseat, Ava and Sawyer on either side of me while Charlie and Owen were in the front. They both kept stealing looks at me through the rear view mirror. I kept fidgeting in my seat, uncomfortable.

"Hey, look Baker, it's our song!" Charlie said, turning the volume up.

"Tell me why.. Ain't nothing but a heartache,"

I couldn't help but groan. "That is definitely not our song, Charles!"

He completely ignored me and kept dancing, sending me a wink through the rear view mirror. I shook my head at him when my eyes met Owens. He had a pained look on his face. When our eyes met he quickly looked away.

I felt my stomach flip.

I did not want to be in this situation right now.

We pulled into a parking spot and started getting out of the car. Ava and Sawyer unloaded the bags with Charlie while I said goodbye to Owen.

"I'll see you soon right?" He said, shoving his hands into his hoodie pocket.

"I hope so," I said, pulling my hair back behind my ear. I took a deep breath and grabbed the piece of paper that had my song written on it from my back pocket. I played with it in my hands, trying to find the courage to give it to him. "Listen, read this when you're alone, alright?"

He looked down at the piece of paper then back at me and nodded. He grabbed it and placed it in his pocket. He bent down and gave me a tight hug, lifting me up and shaking me from side to side. "Oh I'm gonna miss you, Lake Baker!" he said placing me on the ground again.

I giggled but then looked at Charlie as he slammed the car trunk shut. "All done," he said rubbing his hands together. Both boys gave Ava and Sawyer quick hugs goodbye. "Always a pleasure, Ava" Charlie chuckled as she glared at him, reluctantly giving him a hug.

"Bye guys!" They waved at the boys walking into the airport. I held up my finger telling them I'd be a minute.

"I hate this part," Charlie whispered as he stood in front of me. I glanced at Owen who was standing uncomfortably a few feet away. I saw him shift in his place, trying not to eavesdrop.

"Me too," I whispered back looking up at him.

"Oh come here, Baker," he said, pulling me into a hug. He let his head rest on top of mine and I inhaled deeply. I always loved how he smelled. "I'm gonna miss you," he said, pulling away. I glanced at Owen who was staring at me. I knew he was trying to see what I'd do. I was trying really hard to be neutral until I got my feelings sorted out. I just smiled at both of them and nodded.

"Okay I really better get going before Sawyer comes out here," I said causing them to laugh. I waved at them and quickly walked away. I was sure if I would've stayed a second longer I would have never left.

I really didn't want to leave. For the first time I started reassessing the checklist I had for myself. Maybe I didn't just want to save up money to get far away from home and travel the world. Maybe I wanted to travel the world with a certain someone.

Right before the plane took off I checked my phone. Two messages. One from Charlie and one from Owen.

The one from Charlie said, "You've got me tearing up, Baker. Why do you have to make saying goodbye so damn hard? Anyways, have a safe flight. Let me know when you land, already missing you like crazy, girl."

The one from Owen said, "Is it too bad that I want to run on that plane and stop you from leaving? Buckle up and please be safe. Call me when you land."

Oh, Owen. If only you knew how much I didn't want to go.

My head instantly started pounding. I groaned and threw myself back into my chair. There was no way my mind would be able to stop thinking about that. This was going to be one long plane ride.

Oh god. What was I going to do?

Hope you liked this chapter!

also.. Ahh!! I can't believe Owen and Charlie are in Maui with Jeremy, Carolynn, Tori and Kenny! How adorable?? I totally called it 👀

Should I incorporate their trip into a chapter??