chapter sixteen

"Would you stop it!" I yelled at Ava. I was trying to call Owen and all she was worried about was trying to push her head closer to hear. "You're so nosy. He hasn't even answered yet," I rolled my eyes.

"This is so exciting!" Sawyer squeaked next to me. We were currently on our way to the hotel we would be staying at. We decided that we'd leave our bags, get changed and meet Owen there. Then we'd surprise Charlie. I honestly couldn't believe this actually happened. I had spent my summer savings on this trip. It better be worth. Well, it was Charlie, so I'm sure it was.

"Calm down Sawyer," I said picking at the skin around my nails. "We don't know what's gonna happen. He might not even be happy to see me," I said mostly trying to calm myself down.

"I'm not even gonna try with you anymore," Ava said rolling her eyes and put in her earphones.

"She's right. You projecting all of this negative energy into the world isn't going to help your case," Sawyer said.

"Oh no, don't tell me Ava has rubbed off on you too," I whined. I don't think I could deal with two of them on this trip. One was enough.

"I heard that," Ava said from the other side of me. Her eyes were closed. She was a bit terrifying, but I ignored her.

"Oh! There's Owen!" I said pointing to the side of the street. "Can we stop here, sir?" I asked the driver. He nodded and pulled off to the side. "Thank you!" I said rely able to control myself. I was as nervous as I was excited. This was the first time I'd been out of my home town. It was all so thrilling. "Wake up we're here," I said poking Avas arm a couple of times. She just groaned and smacked my arm back. I didn't even care right now.

We all got out of the car and grabbed our bags. "Hey!" I said as Owen noticed us. I gave him a big hug. I don't know why but I felt really comfortable around him too. Not as nervous as I usually was around Charlie.

"Hey guys!" Owen said greeting Sawyer and Ava. "Here let me help you with those," he said grabbing our bags. "I'm actually really glad you're here, Lake," Owen said as he showed us to our rooms.

"Really?" I said hopeful that Charlie had said something to him about me.

"Yeah. I'm hoping that maybe you'd help us out," he said placing the bags on the floor once we got into the rooms.

"Me?" I asked scrunching my nose, confused as to how I'd possibly help him.

"Yes you," he laughed. "Charlie's not been the same since he left Hawaii. He's been in such a bad mood, not himself, you know? Maybe you being here will fix that."

"You think I could make him feel better?" I asked still confused. Did he also think Charlie liked me?

"Yeah I mean, it's pretty obvious he likes you," Owen said glancing at the girls and laughing with them.

I just started at them. "Charlie likes me?" I whispered to myself.

"No shit Sherlock," Ava and Owen said simultaneously. I watched as they both stopped and stared at each other.

"Um," Ava said clearing her throat. "Nice one," she said punching his arm lightly.

Sawyer and I turned to each other, trying to hide our laughs. Ava was nervous around Owen. That's a first.

"Anyways I told him to meet me here. It took some convincing but he finally agreed to leave his house," Owen said looking exhausted. Had it really been that bad?

Was everyone seeing something I wasn't?

Just then Owens phone rang. "Hello?" He answered the phone. "Alright I'm coming down now," he said hanging up and putting his phone in his pocket. "He's here. Let's go."