chapter twenty six

"Since there's always gonna be.." I encouraged him.

He took a deep breath and looked directly into my eyes.

"Since there's always gonna be someone else."

I stared at him. It took a couple of seconds for my brain to register what he just said. It was a lot for my brain to process.

First he'd told me he broke up with her and now he's saying it's because of me. At least I think it's me.. Knowing him it's probably another girl. My heart almost cracked at the thought of there being yet another girl in his life. I couldn't catch a break. But did I even still want a chance with him?

A month ago hearing him say something like that would've completely surprised me. It also would've been the only thing I needed to hear before I practically jumped his bones.

"I know, I know. Just friends, right?" he said smiling up at me and I nodded, smiling back, not really sure of what to say.

Did I just want to be friends? What about Owen?

"I'll catch you inside alright?" Charlie said. I nodded and watched as he walked off.

I took this time alone to try and clear my thoughts.

Before I came to this party I had enough closure to be satisfied. As of right now, I was all over the place. Owen and I practically kissed each other and Charlie broke it off with Sophia and said he's still trying to get me back. On top of all of that, I had no idea what I felt. Just great, I said, letting out an exasperated sigh.

"Lake," I suddenly heard someone whisper. "Lake you better be out here, this is creepy as shit," I giggled as I heard the crunching of leaves.

"I'm right here," I said jumping out from the side of the house. Owen jumped and placed his hand on his heart, scared. I couldn't help but bend over in laughter. "Priceless."

"Wow you know all of a sudden the fact that you're leaving tomorrow morning is like music to my ears," he said looking at the sky pretending to daydream.

"Don't be a jerk," I playfully punched his arm.

"Ouch, watch the money makers," he said holding invisible drumsticks using them to play invisible drums. I rolled my eyes at how lame he was. For a second I had forgotten that we had a moment a couple minutes ago.

I contemplated confronting him about it.

"Were you out here alone?" he asked me and I shook my head.

"Charlie," I mumbled.

"Oh Gillespie, eh?" he said, mocking Charlie's Canadian accent. "Did anything interesting happen?" he wiggled his eyebrows at me.

Why was everything so much easier with him?

"Interesting? No. Questionable? Definitely," I said. He just nodded his head and looked down at the ground.

"So.. about earlier?" Owen nodded his head towards the house.

"What about it?" I decided to take the clueless route. I watched as he nodded his head again. He bent down and picked up a couple of rocks and started throwing them in the distance.

"So I have a hypothetical for you," he said, throwing a rock.

"Go on," I said.

Was he trying to change the subject?

"Suppose there's this guy right? And his best friend is totally head over heels for this girl."

"Uh-huh," I said trying to follow along.