chapter seven

This was not going to be good. Not only did I sneak out of the house, but I also had 27 missed calls from my dad. 27? Who even calls someone that many times. "C'mon. C'mon!!" I said trying to get the elevator here fast by pressing the button faster. When it finally rang the doors opened and Ava was standing in front of me.

"What's going on?" Immediately asked her.

"Where have you been? Why haven't you been answering your phone?" She asked, freaking out a little. She shook her head. "Never mind. It doesn't matter right now. Your dad is downstairs in the lobby with Mrs. Roberts. He knows you weren't working," she said looking pained as she said it. Ava has been my friend forever, so she knows exactly how my dad is and how he likes to overreact to certain situations. This was one of them. But she also knew how to judge when things were going to be good and when they were going to be bad. Judging by the look on her face right now... definitely not good.

"Shit. Okay let's go," I said stepping into the elevator and pressing the button for the lobby.

"Uh I have to get something first," she said stepping out. "Mrs. Roberts asked me to before I left."

I hadn't even realized she wasn't wearing her uniform. I nodded and waved at her. "Wish me luck," just as the doors closed I heard her yell 'LUCK'.

Boy was I gonna need it.

I spent the short time in the elevator devising a plan. Where was I? What was I doing? I was shaking so bad I couldn't think straight. When the elevator doors opened up I saw my dad standing with Mrs. Roberts. He looked calm. Maybe it wasn't as bad as we thought.

Then he turned and saw me and his eyes went red. I could tell he was trying to keep his cool in front of everyone. He met me halfway and grabbed me by the arm. "Let's go, Lake," he said practically dragging me out. I looked at Mrs. Roberts for help but that was no use. She was already busy with a guest.

"But dad-" I started to say when we were outside and he stopped in his tracks.

"No. You do not get to speak right now. You are in big trouble. I can't even begin to explain how much trouble," he said as we walked towards the car. I saw my mom sitting in the passenger seat. When I got in the car she turned around and faced me before my go in the car. She mouthed the words 'sorry'.

"Dad, just let me explain," I said looking at him from the rear view mirror. He just kept his eyes on the road, not even bothering to answer me. I still didn't know what my excuse was going to be. I saw my mom reach her hand over and hold his while he drove. This meant she was trying to calm him down, so I could talk without getting my head bitten off.

"God only knows what you were doing," I heard him mumble. I rolled my eyes. He slammed his hand on the steering wheel and I saw my mom jump. "This was not our plan! You were supposed to finish your studies and then settle down with a nice Christian boy. I knew working at that hotel would just be a distraction."

"Maybe you should just trust me for once in your life!" I yelled. I knew that wasn't the smarter decision ever right now, but I was really tired of being treated like I was a child. I also didn't like the idea of someone else planning out every second of my life.

"Trust you? How am I supposed to trust you? All you do is act suspicious. You lie. You sneak around. Please tell me how am I supposed to trust you?" He asked me. He wasn't yelling anymore. His voice was really calm which only meant he was really mad.

"You're making things up. I wouldn't have to sneak around if you trusted me! And I was only going to work, not a whore house," I said crossing my arms getting annoyed.

"Do not speak like that in my car young lady!" He said through gritted teeth. As we pulled into my driveway I didn't even wait for the car to stop completely before getting out and running into the house. I ran up the stairs and into my room, deciding to give him some time to cool off. Also giving myself some time to figure out how I was going to get out of the house on time to see Charlie one more time.

There was a knock at my door and my mom came in. "He's calming down sweetie," she said coming to sit down next to me on my bed. "Are you okay?" She asked rubbing my back.

My mom was more understanding than my dad, but she was still very protective. And conservative. I don't know how she would react if I told her about the last couple of days. I chose not to tell her. I just nodded my head and played with a loose string on my pillow.

"He just worries about you all the time. It's only because he cares about you," she said still rubbing my back.

"I know, but it's a little overbearing sometimes. I can't breathe. I don't see what the big deal is," I said standing up from the bed, beginning to pace back and forth.

"I think he just panicked. He woke up and you were there and then you hadn't come home at all, he was worried," she said standing up and holding my hand. "Ava is waiting outside. I'll let her in," she said squeezing my hand and leaving. Ava walked in after her, closing the door behind her.

"Hey are you doing alright?" She asked. Before I could answer she went on. "Good? Okay great. Now you're gonna wanna sit down for this." I raised my eyebrows and reluctantly sat down on my bed. "I honestly think I deserve an award -" she said rambling on.

"AVA!" I yelled getting impatient. I was too stressed out for her babble right now.

"Okay so your mom and I convinced your dad to come stay at my house tonight, just so you guys can have some "space" to cool down. They've already talked to my mom. It's all set so pack a bag let's go," she said throwing a random backpack at me. It took me a while to grasp what was happening but then I jumped off my bed and randomly started shoving clothes and toiletries in there before grabbing Ava by the arm and leaving. I wanted to get out of the house as fast as I could.

"I can't believe my dad said yes," I said to her as we got into her car.

"Yea well my mom has to promise not to let you out of the house without him knowing," she said.

"UGH! What is his problem?" I yelled getting worked up again.

"Chill. It's all good. My mom convinced him to let you go to work tomorrow." She said grabbing some gum from her back.

"No way!" I said turning in my seat excited. But then it hit me. "That's no good. I'd still miss charlie. He said he was leaving early. Our shift is in the evening."

"I know," Ava said plopping the gum into her mouth. She chewed it a few times before grabbing another.

"Wait, how do you know?" I asked. She pulled into her driveway and we got out.

"I maybe went to his room and talked to him for you," she said shrugging her shoulders. "I also convinced Nathaniel to switch shifts with you. You so owe me one."

I laughed at how she said Nathaniels name. Let's just say they weren't each others favorite people.

"No. You. Didn't." I whispered barely believing what she said. And then I screamed. "What did you say to him? What did he say?"

"I just said you had a family emergency and that you'd explain tomorrow," she said letting me into her house. It was late so her house was dark. We had to keep quiet until we got to her room. We grabbed a couple of snacks from the fridge on our way and my stomach rumbled. I was starving.

"Do you know when he's leaving?" I asked siting on her bed and taking a bite out of some leftovers.

"He leaves at 9 but he'll be waiting for you in the lobby at 8," she said shoving a grape into her mouth winking at me. She gave me a fake smile, her mouth full of grape. "Like I said. You owe me big time."

Let's just hope he doesn't leave before I get there.