chapter fifteen

"Stop it!" I whisper yelled at Ava as she kept fidgeting with her dress.

We were currently in church, listening to my dads service.

"Quit it!" I said to her again smacking her fingers. When he persisted, I grabbed her hand, holding it.

"If you don't let go right now-" she said to me through gritted teeth. Her mother leaned over and shot us a glare, probably because we were causing too much noise. Ava shot her mom a fake wide smile. When her mother leaned back she turned her face to me and glared.

After church, Sawyer and Jesse met up with us and we all went to eat.

"Tell us again what happened," Sawyer asked as she sipped her water.

"Yeah, please, now that Jesses here you'll have three people telling you how stupid you really are," Ava said prompting her head on her hand as she shoved a fry in her mouth. I glared at her and she shot me a forced smile.

"Come on guys, give her some slack," Jesse said protectively to my supposed best friends. "Maybe it's not that bad, right Lake?" He asked me giving me an assuring nod.

I couldn't exactly agree or disagree. There was a part of me that believed I did the right thing, and another part of me, strictly encouraged by Ava and Sawyer that thought I was a complete and total idiot.

"Well..." I said trying to remember everything.

My mind flashed back to last week.

We were at the airport. Charlie and I. He had just said goodbye and walked off. I stood back and watched him walk away, a part of me hoping he would turn around and just take one last glance at me. I had mentally promised myself that if he looked back, I would run to him, but I knew I wouldn't never have the guts to do it. So instead of calling after him and telling him how I really felt, I just let him leave. I knew something was wrong. I finally got the courage and turned around, getting back into the car. I had to return it to the rental agency and Ava was meeting me there.

Once we met I explained everything to her. Since Charlie was always around I never had a second to just pause and gossip about every thing we did. So as I was returning the car I caught Ava up on everything. "Oh my god," Ava said covering her face with her hands.

"I know," I said agreeing with her. "It's so weird right?"

"No, I mean, oh my god I can't believe how freaking stupid you are!" Ava said screaming at me. The lady who was helping me return the car gave up a stern look, glaring at us over her glasses that were dropped on the edge of her nose.

"What?" I hissed at Ava, trying to convey that her outburst was embarrassing with my eyes. And then we both turned and smiled politely at the lady. "Have a nice day!" I said grabbing Avas arm and pulling her outside.

"That boy was trying to tell you something important!" Ava said getting in her car and speeding out of the parking lot.

"If it was important he would've said something and besides-" I said stopped mid-sentence realizing we were going the wrong way.

"You didn't even give him the chance!" Ava said exasperated. "Just let me talk for a second okay?" She said and I just nodded, slightly scared of the rage that currently took over Ava. "I love you so much. You're like a third sister to me, and I just want to see you happy. I've taken a couple steps back, hoping you'd eventually come to your senses on your own but man!" She said slapping the steering wheel with her hands. "I really didn't think you'd actually manage to make it worse," she said shaking her head.