chapter twenty two

OWENS POV

Right as the credits rolled in I got a text from Ava telling me they were coming up in the elevators.

I tried to get off the bed without waking Lake up. Her head was laying on my chest, her arm laying across my stomach. I slowly lifted her off of me. She tossed and turned a little.

"I have to go now, Ava and Sawyer are on their way up okay?" I said pulling to cover over her. She grabbed a pillow and hugged it tightly, making me smile. I was glad she looked peaceful.

I leaned over her and grabbed her phone to place on the nightstand. Suddenly I felt Lake wrap her arms around her shoulder and squeeze me tight. It startled me at first and then I hugged her back, slowly placing her back on the mattress.

"Goodnight, Owen," she mumbled. She was obviously fast asleep.

I took a second to inhale, my eyes closed when I got a whiff of her.

Why did she smelled so damn good?

I finally came to my senses and started to back away, letting go of her. Our faces were really close and before I knew it, she leaned forward and her lips were on mine.

My eyes widened. I didn't know what to do. She finally leaned back and sighed, rolling over and hugging her pillow again.

What the hell just happened?

Did she mean to do that? I just stayed frozen in my place watching her with wide eyes. I'm sure it was just a friendly kiss. Right?

Just then the door to the room opened. Ava and Sawyer came tip toeing in. I raised my finger to my lips telling them to be quiet.

"I'll see you guys tomorrow," I whispered to them before I left.

I couldn't stop thinking about that kiss and what it meant. It kept me up all night. I ended up being the first one on set.

As I was sipping my morning coffee, Charlie stumbled onto the set. His arm was draped lazily around Sophia's shoulders.

I didn't understand him sometimes. He went from being the goofiest guy I knew, to being head over heels with Lake. Seriously, he wouldn't stop talking about her. They were always talking on the phone and facetime. They were inseparable and they weren't even in the same country.

And then overnight it was like a switch was flipped.

I remember Charlie telling me that he wanted to tell Lake how he felt when he surprised her in Hawaii. He wanted to tell her before we had to start filming in Canada.

He called me one night when he was there telling me about how he'd read the signs wrong. That was all any of us could get out of him. He came back from that trip a completely different person.

He was usually so excited for work, the most energetic person on set. But it was like the second he stepped foot on that plane back from Hawaii, he had no motivation.

He wanted to stay home all the time. He never wanted to go out, he barely ate. Jeremy and I thought he was just missing Lake. We even tried to have an intervention with him, but he just shut us out.

To think it couldn't get any worse, Lake came to surprise him. I was so sure that this would fix everything. It only went downhill from there.

I just really wanted to understand why he was acting this way.

I grimaced as I watched him flaunt around the set with Sohpia. He was wearing sunglasses. He looked like a complete mess.

As much as I didn't think he deserved Lake, I cared about them both very much. Deep down I knew the right thing to do was to sit him down and talk some sense into him.