chapter forty three

"Well?" Charlie asked, raising his eyebrows at both Owen and I. "You guys are freaking me out. Someone say something," he laughed nervously.

Owen nudged me with his elbow, encouraging me to go on.

Just give me a minute! I yelled in my head. I was trying to find the right words.

"Um so you know how you wanted to know what Kenny was talking to us about?" I said in a very hushed voice. He squinted his eyes and got closer trying to listen closely.

I was shaking.

Once what I had said registered he let go of my hand and leaned back. He just nodded his head and crossed his arms across his chest, waiting for me to continue.

I tucked my hair behind my ears and gulped nervously.

Okay, Lake. Take a deep breath. There's nothing to worry about. What's the worst that could happen?

Suddenly images of an enraged Charlie throwing things around the room popped into my head. My eyes went wide. Why was I thinking about that right now? It was only psyching me out.

"Lake?" Owen said next to me making sure I was alright. I nodded.

Here goes nothing.

"Okay so there's this rumor going around," I started.

"A silly rumor. A rumor is all that it is," Owen cut in and I glared at him.

"Chill," I said to him. He just nodded and took a seat next to Charlie. I knew he was stressing out as well.

"What kind of rumor?" Charlie asked.

"Well it's really funny actually," I laughed.

"Hilarious really," Owen added and we laughed together. Charlie looked between the both of us, smiling, but not laughing.

"What's so funny?" He asked, confused.

"Well your fans seem to think that Owen and I are," I said holding my two index fingers together, pushing them together. I was trying to show him instead of actually having to say it.

I looked at them, still pushing my fingers together, and they nodded their heads.

"You and Owen are..?"

I let out a sigh.

"Dating. That Owen and I are dating," I said, closing my eyes and wincing, ready for the rage that was about to come.

Instead I was greeted with his infectious laugh that I loved so much.

What the hell?

Owen and I looked at each other completely thrown off by his reaction. Owen stood up and stood next to me, watching Charlie tear up because of how hard he was laughing.

"You're right Owen. That really is a hilarious rumor," he said, continuing to laugh

Okay seriously, why was he not reacting?

"But why would they think that?" he asked.

"There were a few pictures of us that were posted on instagram," I said.

"Huh, that's so weird," he said looking up at the ceiling like he was thinking.  "Can you believe they think you two are dating?" he laughed again, looking back at us.

Owen and I just glanced at each other. I started biting on the inside of my cheek, giving a quick laugh. Owen just stayed quiet.

His reaction was not at all what I had expected. I was glad we got it out of the way though.