chapter twenty eight

The second we got back to Hawaii we wasted no time getting back to work. I had already missed an entire week of income. I had to make it up.

I tied my apron around my waist, made sure my shoes were laced and slammed my locker shut. Ava was leaning against the lockers chewing her bubble gum, blowing really loud and obnoxious bubbles.

We were currently late to an impromptu staff meeting Mrs. Roberts called. "Would you please come on," I begged her, pulling my hair into a tight ponytail. I grabbed her arm and dragged her all the way to the big circle where all the employees of the hotel were gathered.

"What's going on?" I asked Nathaniel as I squeezed myself into the middle of the circle. He shrugged his shoulders.

"Traitor," Ava sneered in my ear. I rolled my eyes at her ridiculous loathing for the guy.

We stood patiently listening to Mrs. Roberts list of a bunch things for us to do. "We have switched to two ply toilet paper, so please stock your trolleys up!" She said smacking her clipboard And starting this Monday, we will be accepting applications for an assistant manager position-"

"Oh my god," I whispered to Ava.

"Yeah, they totally fired Robert's ass while you guys were gone. His position's up for grabs. Apparently, they're accepting applications from anyone," Nathaniel said. Ava just glared at him as he spoke.

"Poor Robert," I said.

"Um, excuse me, Mrs. Roberts," Ava said raising her arm.

"Yes?" Mrs. Roberts said, looking at Ava from above her glasses, obviously unamused she interrupted her.

"Can anyone apply for the management position?" she asked, holding her gum in one hand. "Like I don't know.. A maid?"

"I don't see why not," Mrs. Roberts lifted her glasses up and checked her clipboard. "Ah yes, don't forget to clean-"

I tried to listen to what she was saying but Avas whispering in my ear distracted me. "You so have to apply for that job."

She couldn't be serious. I ignored her until Mrs. Roberts dismissed us. "No way," I said to Ava as we walked over to the supply room. I grabbed my trolley and started stocking it.

"Why not?" Ava asked, placing her hand on her hip.

I hesitated. The only reason I couldn't apply for that management position wasn't because I knew they wouldn't consider me for the job, but because if by some chance they actually do pick me, I'd never be able to get out of this town. This management job would keep me in check. It was way too good of an opportunity to pass up just to travel the world.

I shoved the last box of toilet paper in my trolley and shook my head, not wanting to think about it.

I started pushing my trolley towards the room I had to clean today. "Come help me do this room," I called over my shoulder to Ava.

Once I was finished with my half of the room, I pulled out my phone and scrolled through instagram.

I saw that Owen had posted a story of Charlie in the airport. I furrowed my eyebrows and replayed the video. It was a video of Charlie getting searched by TSA.

Why hadn't either of them told me they were going somewhere. I quickly checked my messages to see if either of them had sent me anything. I kept refreshing, but nothing came up. The last thing I had sent them was that I arrived in Hawaii last night.

Huh, that's weird. I wonder where they're going.

"THAT'S IT!" I heard Ava yell as she slammed the toilet seat down and ran out of the bathroom. "You," she said pointing at me "Are applying for the job and we are getting the hell away from unclogging toilets." She came over to where I was and got down on her knees. "Please, Lake. I can't take another clogged toilet. PLEASE!"

"Ava, you're always so dramatic aren't you?"

She shrugged her shoulders and rolled onto the floor. "it's all I know."

Suddenly my phone vibrates once. Then the vibrating persisted. I looked around to make sure no one was watching and then I took out my phone.

What the hell?

They were all messages from Owen. I read them all one by one.

Surprise Lake!
Guess who's in Hawaii?
I've got a very special surprise for you.
Meet me on the fifth floor.

"No way," I whispered as I reread the  messages, making sure I read them right. "NO WAY!" I screamed getting up and picking up all of my cleaning supplies, trying to get down to the lobby as fast as I could.

"Uh.. Lake? I don't mean to burst your bubble or anything, but why the hell are you so excited?" Ava asked from her place on the floor. I threw her my phone and ran for the door, throwing everything in the trolley. "NO WAY!" I heard Ava scream and then I heard her start to run behind me.

Trying to push this trolley down the hall was taking too long. "Here Avs," I said, giving it to her. I wanted to get to the lobby as fast as I could.

The elevator ride felt like it was taking forever. Was Owen really here? I thought to myself excitedly. Then my excitement died down when I realized that if Owen was here so was Charlie. I saw his story on Instagram. They were both at the airport.

The second the elevator doors opened and I immediately started searching for Owen, looking left and right. I caught a tall figure with blonde hair and a hat. That's him. As if he could sense my presence he suddenly turned around and saw me. I started sprinting towards him and he caught me spinning me around.

"I see someone really missed me," he breathed and he placed me back down on the ground. I shoved his arm.

"You're the one who couldn't keep away," I teased.

"Yeah. You're right, I couldn't,"  he said staring at me and I looked at the ground.

"So are you not going to explain to me why the hell you're here?" I tried my best to change the subject.

"That would entail me to spoil the surprise. And you know how much I love surprises, especially if I'm the one who helped arrange said surprise," he said, rubbing his hands together and wiggling his eyebrows. "After you," he held out for me to walk in front of him. I walked until he coughed.

"You really won't give me even the teeniest hint?" I pouted and he shook his head.

I turned around and he stopped in front of a door. "You ready?" he asked and I nodded my head impatiently.

I watched as he pulled out a room key and hovered it over the door handle, waiting for the light to turn green.

He opened the door and I walked in. I stood frozen in place. I couldn't believe it who was in the room.

ahh!! Who do you guys think is in the room??