chapter fifty eight

I was pacing around my room with my phone in my hand. I had called Ava the second Owen left to give Charlie my letter.

I knew I couldn't be left alone with my thoughts. I would end up driving myself crazy. I called Ava so she could distract me. Luckily, Ava just so happened to be at Sawyers.

Calling them... Big mistake. Huge.

She only wanted to hear the details about Charlie. It only stressed me out even more.

Sawyer, Ava and I had a group chat and it was blown up with unread messages after they saw videos of Charlie and I singing the other night.

I knew they just wanted to know what was going on, but I just couldn't bring myself to talk about it at the time. I just admitted it to myself. If I admitted it to them... let's just say Sawyer would have the venue booked for tomorrow.

"So I wrote him a letter," I said, biting my lip. I still couldn't believe how fast I handed Owen the letter. No hesitation. I knew I had to get it over with. That way if he didn't feel the same I would be able to move on.

"A letter?" Sawyer and Ava both repeated.

"Aww! Thats so cute!" Sawyer said.

"Why are you living in some sort of 1950s romance novel?" Ava teased.

See what I mean about her and Owen being so similar? It was spooky.

"Shut up, Ava!" Sawyer said and I heard a loud thud followed by a screech. I rolled my eyes at them.

God, I missed them so much.

"Its like... a song. I wrote it down on a piece of paper. I wrote a note at the bottom telling him to find me after he's read it," I said, my stomach instantly dropping at the though of him knocking on my door at any minute.

Instinctively I ran over to the door and looked through the peephole. My eyes scanned left and right but there was no one in the hallway.

Owen said he might be busy. It's not like he was ignoring me, right?

"You wrote him a song? Well isn't that just the cutest!" Sawyer squealed. I heard her clap her fingers while Ava pretended to gag.

"Lets hear it then," Ava said and I could just imagine her in front of me. Crossing her arms, completely disagreeing with the idea of me having written him a song.

"What?" I squeaked.

"Come on! You sang in front of thousands of people. Suck it up and use those vocal cords!" Ava said sternly.

She was right.

I walked over to my bed and grabbed my book, flipping through the pages looking for the last draft I had written.

"So? What do you think?" I asked after I finished reciting the last line.

"Wow," Sawyer whispered.

"What she said," Ava added. "That was actually... not as bad as I thought it was going to be."

"Thanks?" I said, unsure if that was actually a compliment or not.

I heard Ava and Sawyer burst out laughing before there was a pounding on my door. I jumped in my own skin and turned around frozen. It was an aggressive knock. I gulped and took one step closer.

The knocks continued.

"Lake! Open up, Lake!"

It was Charlie.

Oh no... why did he sound so mad?

"G-guys, i'll call you back, alright?" I stuttered before ending the phone call, not waiting for their response.