Chapter 9

Zak and Darryl looked at each other and then back at you. It was almost like they could speak to each other without speaking.

"Well.. yes," Zak answered, uncertain if he should be speaking at all.

"Then how?" You ask quickly. If you could escape with everyone, you were going too.

"Guard 5 will be here momentarily." The voice said over the speakers. You're pretty sure that they got another guard 5 to fight because the other one was injured. Zak and Darryl were now looking towards the window again. They are not answering the question!

You grab Zak's shoulder and ask again.

"How?" You ask ina quiet but demanding voice. Zak looked at you and sighed.

"The only way to escape is if you beat all the tests. Once you beat the test there is an opening to escape. Darryl and I will show all of you how to get to the exit when the time comes." Zak spoke quickly.

"Where are you guys going then?" You ask Zak. The way he phrased it sounded like he and Darry weren't coming with you.

"We are going to meet up with the rest of our group and stop these guys," Zak said now sounding really reluctant to say more. You just gave a quick nod in return and watched as he and Darryl went back to their spot on the viewing window. You limped back up to where Emma was standing and watched as a new guard entered the room. You thought a little about what Zak said. They are going to do their jobs when the time comes. I need to do my best to make sure that time happens. Am I going to really let them go and possibly get hurt? Yes, I am it's their jobs! But should I let them? You shake your head to clear your mind of the confusing thoughts and look out the window.

You stared as Wilbur entered the ring with the other man to fight. The voice spoke to began and the two men both instantly began to throw punches unlike you and the other guard. It was going so fast it was hard to process what was going on. You see Wilbur got punched a couple of times in the stomach and the other guy got a hard punch to the face in return. Then Wilbur ducked as the other man aimed a kick towards his face. You turned your head looked at the line up of the others who were also watching the fight. They were all super invested in the fight, but you couldn't seem to focus on what was going on. Instead, you just focused on the other reactions. It was weird to look at them. Even though you haven't been watching the fight, just by their reactions you could tell what was going on. When their faces went grimmer you could tell that something bad had happened. When their faces went happier you could tell that Wilbur was doing good. It was different when you looked at Niki. The whole time she looked terrified for Wilbur and you felt bad for her. He could get extremely hurt during the fight. Because of your fight, you were pretty sure that your foot was broken.

Wait a second how are we supposed to complete the rest of the test if were injured? You thought. This test just seems like it would set us back for future tests. You looked at your foot and noticed that you were putting almost none of your weight on it. You sighed and looked out the window again to see Wilbur give a powerful punch to the man's face. The man falls over and hits his head on one of the poles in the corner. The man goes still and Wilbur wins. The voice quickly came on.

"Well done Wilbur. Your team gets 10 points. We will have George go next. Wilbur you will have 3 guards walk you to the room where the others are at. George, you will come out of the room peacefully or we will shoot you and anyone else that tries to fight." It sounded the exact same as when the voice spoke to you just replaced your name with Wilburs and Wilburs name with George. You heard a loud pounding on the door and watched as George walked up to it. You could clearly see that he was nervous, but before you could talk to him Clay did.

"You will be fine George. Don't sweat it." Clay said reassuring him. George nodded.

"Thanks, Clay," George said before pulling on the doors latch. Everyone watched as he walked out of the room and towards multiple guards. The door slammed behind him leaving Clay to stare at the door he left from. This is where you decided to step in. You walked up to Clay and gave a small wave to get his attention. He looked at you for a moment before looking back at the door.

"He'll be ok." You spoke softly, unsure if you were actually helping.

"Yeah, I know." Clay slightly smiled. He walked towards one of the walls and leaned on it. His mind was clearly buzzing with thoughts. Your eyes then flickered to the movement of Niki walking towards the door. She waited there for a moment almost mimicking what Clay did. Then the door swung open and Wilbur was shoved inside. Luckily he didn't seem to hurt other than some bad bruises and scratches. Then a guard walked in after him. The guard was carrying a strange bag and was scanning the room. Then her eyes locked on you. She then tossed you a small bottle carrying pink liquid.

"Drink it to help your injuries. We forgot to give it to you before." She said in an odd thick accent. Then she tossed one towards Wilbur and left slamming the door behind her. Niki ran up to Wilbur quickly asking if he was okay. He just nodded and looked at the spray.

"How do you think this will help our injuries?" He said talking to no one in particular.

"I don't know," You spoke while also staring at it. You popped open the lid and sat down. You took off your shoe revealing your foot. "I'm ready to test this thing," You said mumbling. You drank the potion almost instantly feeling stronger. Everyone in the room watched as the bad bruising on your foot disappeared. Your eyes went wide as your foot was now back to normal.

"Potion of healing," Zak spoke. "Our group has no clue how they make them." He said explaining a little.

"'Our group'?" Wilbur asked confused.

"Zak and Darryl work for a group that's trying to stop these evil people," Niki said answering Wilburs question.

"Huh," Wilbur faltered. After a moment he seemed to understand. Then he opened his up and drank most of it leaving some behind. His injuries then all healed up and he looked at the bottle for a second longer. "Here," he said giving the rest to Zak. "So you can find out what it's made of." Zaks's eyes went slightly wide as he grabbed the bottle. Zak nodded and gave Wilbur a thank you. Zak then crouched down and rolled up one of his pants legs to reveal an empty test tube attached to his shin with a strap. He took the test tube out and poured the liquid inside. He then put the test tube back and gave Wilbur the empty bottle. Everyone looked confused as they all starred at Zak.

"They are going to question if a bottle went missing," Zak said.

Clay then spoke up in a sarcastic tone, "No, no no, you see we were staring at you because you have a test tube on your leg."

"You'll never know when you might need one," Zak spoke in his defense, but everyone still just starred at Zak, "I mean Darryl has multiple knives on him, don't call me the weird one."

Then all eyes drifted to Darryl. He looked at everyone and just shrugged. "Youll never know when you might need a knife," Darryl spoke in a whisper-like voice.

Wilbur then looked at Darryl very confused, "Wait a second, you can talk?!"