Chapter 18

(This is most likely my worst chapter. As soon as I finish this book ya just know that this one will be updated. Also late-night chapter pog!I wrote this at midnight...)

"Before the guards pick us up shouldn't we change back into our clothes?" George asked pointing to the clothes that everyone left by the changing rooms.

You looked at the white t-shirt you were wearing and nodded, "I'll change back."

"Yeah, I'll change too," Darryl spoke before walking back to the changing rooms. You joined Darryl and walked to the changing rooms. After the speed test, you discovered that you really hated the texture of the clothes and needed to get back on your own. The scale-like feeling wasn't working for you and you needed to change. When you got to the changing room door you picked up the clothes and walked in. You looked around the creepy empty room again and quickly changed back into your clothes not wanting to stay in there longer than you had to. When you walked out of the changing room you saw a bunch of guards on the other side of the gym waiting for you all to finish, which was nice. Your happy they at least let you have some time to change. Once sat down at the shoes you did decide to keep on the white sneakers instead of your old shoes and left the old pair behind.

It was nice seeing the guards wait for you instead of just pulling you around and giving you no time for anything. You sat down next to Emma and watched the guards with her.

"It's weird to see them like this." You said leaning towards Emma.

"Yeah, they look almost fake from how perfectly they're standing." Emma joked. The two of you were joined by Niki after she had finished changing.

"I wonder how long the guards would stand there if they were told to stand there forever," Niki mumbled looking at the rows of guards.

"I bet they would stand until they physically couldn't anymore," Emma answered pretty relaxed. "I wonder how much they are paying these guys to do that."

"Probably a bunch. I mean who would even consider working here if you weren't getting paid super well." You suggested while looking at Emma.

"No these are all homeless people." Zak butted in at almost a whisper. "They pay them almost nothing and threatened to kill their families if they try to quit." He said sitting down next to you.

"Jesus. Whoever is running this place is a psychopath." You said while looking at the guards again. You felt a new feeling of remorse towards them. Everyone here is trapped in some sort of prison-like system that they can't escape. It was kind of funny how quickly your opinion changed on the guards. One moment you're laughing about them and the next you feel bad for them.

"Yeah, they are," Zak said sighing. You turned to the rest of the group to see Clay walk out of the changing room back into his normal clothes. Clay was the last one to change back into his clothes meaning the guards would now take you to the next room. Like you predicted all of the guards quickly walked up to you and the others. You were grabbed by the arms and pulled towards the door by a guard with two others watching your sides making sure you didn't try anything.

You and your friends were pulled out of the room and back into the maze of hallways. It was frustrating that you couldn't do anything but get pulled around against your will. After a while in the maze of halls, you got bored and counted each time you turned right just for something to do while walking. It helped you a little to have something to focus on.

You had counted right 6 times when all of the hallway lights started to flash a deep crimson red. All of the guards had stopped moving and you noticed that the grip around your wrist had become tighter. One of the guards picked up his walkie talkie and began to say some code words you didn't understand. His voice had a tone of panic in it as he was shouted back words to the person on the other side. At last, his eyes went wide with fear. He looked up and turned to the rest of the guards to share what he had learned.

"20:2 5:19!" I repeat, 20:2 5:19! Get the captives into a cell!" He yelled as loud as he could. You were suddenly pulled violently by the guards through the hallways. The grip on your wrist would loosen and then would tighten extremely causing your wrist to ache as you run. You made a couple of more turns before being shoved to the ground in a new room. Emma was already in there being pushed in seconds earlier, and soon everyone else was too. You watched as the door was slammed shut and you could hear the footsteps of the guards running away from the door.

You stood up and looked around the new room you were in. It had all dark grey cement walls with a small light at the top that barely lit up the room. It was dark a kind of dusty with nothing inside of it. It looked similar to the changing rooms but dirtier and darker.

"What the hell just happened?" You mumble to yourself still looking around. "What were those numbers they said?" You then spoke louder thinking of the numbers the guards yelled.

"It's their code," Zak explained. "20:2 5:19. They use 2 digit letter combination names for everything and then transfer those letters into their corresponding numbers in the alphabet order." You just stared at Zak confused. You knew he said something smart but had no clue what he meant and ended up just staring.

"Oh, one second let me translate: Too many big words," Wilbur spoke slowly translating your confused expression into a sentence.

Zak sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. He looked up again and explained slower and in simpler terms, "For example, let's say they wanted a code for apple. Then they would take the two most recognizable letters from it, in this case, A and P, and would shift that into numbers based on the order they are in the alphabet. 1:16." You nodded now understanding it better. You saw a couple of other people nod as well so you weren't the only person who had no clue what he said the first time.

"Then what is the code they said mean?" Wilbur asked.

"20:2 that's TB and 5:19 that's ES. TB most likely means Technoblade and ES most likely means escaped. So Technoblade escaped." Darryl popped in.

"What?! How did he escape?!" Clay asked angrily now joining the conversation. "He is dangerous!"

"I don't know!" Darryl said defending himself, "Why would he have to escape is the real question. Your the one who said he was treated like a god earlier. Why would someone treated like a god need to escape?" Darryl questioned. You watched as Clay stuttered a little before rolling his eyes in defeat. Clay huffed and sat down in one of the corners of the room upset. You didn't know why he was so angry with Technoblade but he was. You would have helped him but George was already on the case to help Clay calm down. Letting you have time to think.

What is Technoblade doing? Why would someone treated like a god need to escape? What if he wasn't being treated like a god? What if he is a prisoner like us being forced to do things against his will? What if- You knew you should have waited a little before jumping to conclusions but each thought just made more and more sense for why he would want to escape from this place. It was crazy how little you knew about everything here.

"When will we get out of here?" Niki asked, interrupting the silence of the room. She seemed scared when she asked that question as if she was losing hope.

"When they get the situation under control," Zak answered quickly. "And that could take hours considering its Technoblade who escaped. So I suggest you get comfortable. We will be here for a while." Zak said while sitting down against a wall. He did sound a little rude when he said that but he was being honest. You saw Niki nod and sit down close to Wilbur.

You took Zak's advice and sat down sitting next to Emma on the right wall. Once you sat down you felt all of the energy you had remaining leave your body. You felt so tired from all of the previous tests and really just needed sleep. Your energy also wasn't getting replenished because you had nothing to eat since breakfast. You felt your eyelids get heavy and your body get weaker from all of the work you had done

"I think I'm going to take a nap while we're waiting." You said yawning. A couple of people gave a small nod towards you and Emma pated her shoulder. You leaned against Emma and felt yourself slowly drift to sleep in the dark musty room.