240

"Can I ask you a question?" I asked uncle Fred as I helped him count the products in the storage room so he and dad knew how much of each thing they had to make. I believe they were both happy that uncle Fred was back and could help with the shop.

"You just did." he said with a playful grin and glanced at me. "Shoot. What's on your mind?"

"How is it to be back?" I asked. "We've all heard so many stories about you and dad and your friendship to my mum and aunt Kathy. We also know they were completely heartbroken when you died and mum even got hospitalised in the psychiatric ward for a couple of months–"

"Huh?"

He froze his actions and looked at me. "Liz– your mum got hospitalised?

"Oh, you didn't know?" I asked. "She didn't face her own emotions after the war. She only focused on dads pain so it ended up breaking her and she tried to commit suicide when I was little. Dad found her hanging in the basement."

Uncle Fred put down the notepad and the pen on the table, then looked at me with a hand on the table.

"She tried killing herself?" he asked. "Because of what happened during the war."

"Yeah." I breathed. "Oh, please don't tell her I told you. I really don't need her to be mad at me right now and I know she hates when anyone mentions it to her. She's embarrassed that she made the decision to leave her husband and kids behind."

"I never–" he frowned and rubbed the back of his neck. "I never thought your mum would end up so bad that she would want to end it all."

"It's been a lot of years." I said. "She's not depressed anymore. She still sees her therapist which you might know but she's not depressed. She just have a nightmare now and then."

"She's better?" he asked. "That's good."

He let out a breath as he thought about the things I just said and meanwhile, I continued to count the products.

"And what about you? Why are you throwing up after every meal?"

Now it was my time to freeze my actions. My eyes were wide and after a moment of holding my breath, I exhaled a shaking breath.

"W-What?"

"You eat very little and then you excuse yourself to the bathroom." he said. "You've done that for the past three days."

"I uh... I have no idea what you're talking about."

"I'm pretty sure you do." he said. "I may only have been back from the death for three months and I may only have started getting to know you four days ago after you fainted but I am not stupid."

"I didn't say you were."

"Vivi, as I see it, you have two choices." he said and joined me by the shelves again, turned towards me. "Either you tell your good old uncle Fred–"

I glanced up at him.

"I need to get used to calling myself an uncle." he breathed. "Well, either you tell me why you make yourself throw up after every meal or we can go talk to your parents about it."

"Why is always one of the two?" I asked with a sigh. "I'm not throwing up. I simply have a large bladder."

"Uh-huh." He nodded. "I'm not buying that."

"Well, it looks like there's only seven left of the boxes." I said, pointing at the ones I meant. Then I put the notepad and pen down and hurried out of the storage room, though I regretted it.

I should've stayed in there.

Luke was here. He was talking to dad, acting like he was interested in something while dad explained it to him.

Why couldn't he just leave me alone for the fucking holidays? I knew I had to find an excuse to go stay with him after Christmas but right now I just wanted a break.

Just one.

"Dad. I can take over here." I said when I approached them. Luke's eyes landed on me in a playful yet dangerous way while my dad nodded with a smile.

"Alright, honey." he patted my shoulder before he nodded at Luke and turned away to go help uncle Fred.

"What are you doing here?" I looked up at Luke. "You can't show up in my dad's shop."

"I can't? It's a public place. It's open to everybody." he said, pushing his hands into the pockets of his trousers. His arms tensed and I could see the muscles on his biceps which reminded me of how bad it hurt every time he hit me. He was so strong so hitting me was like having a fucking boxer punch me in the face. "I was just talking to your father about you."

"What?"

"Yeah. Told him I was a friend of yours. A new friend."

"Please leave." I begged.

"Now, I don't think that's the way to speak to your boyfriend, Vivi." he lowered his voice and his eyes met mine. "Have you come up with an excuse to go see me?"

"Yeah." I shrugged, folding my arms over my chest. "I'll just tell them I'm gonna stay with Emery."

He hummed and offered a small smile. "Good girl."

-

GUYS... GUYS... GUYS

Okay, I'll stop being so loud. Evelyn and Lexi's introduction has been uploaded to my tiktok account today just if you'd like to go watch it. Though, they aren't as good as I wanted them to. My favourite of the ones I've made is and will always be Sammy 'cause holy motherfucking shit... phew