255

"Good to be home?" Dad asked as we entered the flat. I nodded a little, my teeth sinking into my bottom lip as I took in the view of my home. I had missed it so much. When Luke beat me up, I thought I'd never get to go home again. Thought I was going to heaven instead. "All your stuff that you brought to grandma and grandpa's for Christmas is in your room, untouched. You can unpack it now or later. That's up to you."

"And Donut?"

"Donut has been having fun with Digit for the last week." My oldest brother told me and I nodded slightly before I made my way up the stairs.

When I got into my room, the tears silently started rolling down my cheeks but this time it was happy tears. I was so happy to be back home. So happy to be free from that nightmare but I also dreaded what was to come. Loads of therapy to get over everything he did to me. The physical abuse. The mental abuse.

I sat down on my bed carefully, closing my eyes as I ran my hands over the fabric of the sheets. When I opened my eyes again, I saw a sheet of paper lying on my pillow.

With a frown, I carefully picked it up and looked at it. It was a regular sheet of paper but it had piano notes on it along with lyrics.

I read the title.

'Wake up'

My eyes scanned the lyrics and I recognized the handwriting. At the bottom corner of the paper, there was a small note written with a heart behind it.

'When you're hurting, just know that the music will always guide you - Simon'

A shaky breath left my mouth. He had written me a song? A song for me to sing? Not a song to me but a song for me.

He had even written it in piano notes. He knew that was the only instrument I knew how to play. I mean, he taught me myself. I wanted to teach the guitar too but I never got to it because then Luke entered my life and Simon left it.

I didn't even have a piano or a keyboard. I used to use the one at school in the music room but I don't have my own instruments and I'm under the age of seventeen, meaning I'm not allowed to do magic outside of school so I can't use transfiguration to turn my table into a keyboard. I wouldn't even know how to do it. That would have to be someone in either their last year or someone who had graduated. Sammy's the only one who knows that I sing.

Well, my family knows I like to sing but they don't know how serious I am about it. How much I love it, how it makes me forget all my problems and all the troubles of the world. They don't know that I have a real talent for it.. well, Simon said I have talent for it.

"What've you got there?"

I looked up, seeing my uncle in the doorway. I shrugged slightly before looking at the paper again. "Nothing."

He let out a quiet hum as he pushed himself away from the doorframe and walked over to sit down next to me. "Looks like a song to me. Your parents didn't mention you were into music."

"They don't know." I told him. "Only Sammy does. And Moe... Simon, I mean."

"Uh-huh." he nodded. "Can I read it?"

"I guess." I mumbled, handing him the sheet of paper. He held it carefully as his eyes scanned the lyrics. "I've only really skimmed it myself."

"You didn't write it?" he asked without taking his eyes off the lyrics.

"No. Simon did. I just found it."

"Well, he's a great songwriter." He told me when he finished reading. He handed me back the paper. "Do you write music too?"

"I do." I nodded slightly. "But mum and dad doesn't know. Again, only Sammy and Simon. Now you do too."

"Okay..." he frowned, rubbing his hands down his knees. "Why haven't you told them?"

"I don't know." I breathed. "I want to be a singer. Like a professional one. I want to make a career out of it but I'm scared mum and dad will think it's ridiculous."

"Wha— you can't be serious." He laughed. "Your dad and I dropped out of school to open a prank shop and your mother was one of our biggest supporters. They would be there for you and they would support you the best they can."

He was probably why. I mean, he knows my parents better than anyone. Sure, he was dead for eighteen years but he grew up with my father and met my mum when they were eleven. Well, that was only official. He and my dad knew my mum as babies, then when my grandfather "died" it stopped and they didn't see each other again until Hogwarts.

"I sang with Simon when we were at grandma and grandpas." I said. "That was the first time in almost a year that I sung. It felt good but... if I tell them, they will want to hear it and I can't do that. It was hard enough singing with Moe."

"Don't worry." He gently nudged me with his shoulder. "I'll keep your secret. Tell them when you're ready."