Vivica

I take out a small bag of grapes from my bag that hangs to my side. I look up and see the park filled with running children. My eyes search among this large group and look for only one person.

My hairs stand on point at the back of my neck. I let my heart stay at ease as I get up from the wooden table and walk around the field. My eyes search everywhere until they land on a tree. I let a small smile start at my lips as I see a small hand quickly disappear behind the tree trunk. I let my playfulness kick in as I tip toe towards the tree and pop out towards the side.

"Boo!" She laughs loudly and starts to run away from me. "Hey! Don't you run away from me, you silly lady!" My heart jumps at her laughter and I catch up to her to grab her from behind, and tickle her side.

"Stop, mommy! Stop!" Hazel says in between giggles. I laugh along with her as I kiss her neck and her cheek.

I stay at this bent position as I hold on to her waist. "Do you want some grapes?"

"Grapes!" Her bright blue eyes shine at me and her smile turns wide. She turns around to wrap her small arms around my neck and I pick her up. I lovingly rub my hand on her back as she lays her head on my shoulder.

"You wanna go home?"

"No." Her little voice in my ear sends a smile to my face.

"Are you sure? You look tired!"

Hazel shakes her head at me and smiles. "I want grapes."

"Lucky for you..." I say as I sit her by my side on the wooden table. "I brought you grapes!" She does a small squeal of excitement and digs in her bag of grapes.

"Thank you?"

"Thank you, mommy," she quietly says as she happily eats. I run a tender hand on her head and watch her enjoy this moment.

It's been three years since I've first held her in my arms. Well. Three and a half if we're being specific. My love for her has only grown more at each passing day since that day. A lot has gone by and I have learned too much. I keep learning everyday with her, but I've never been happier. I don't regret a single thing.

She's become into quite the curious type though. I always find her doing the oddest things since the day she learned how to walk. That day was amazing. I cried the day she learned how to walk.

The afternoon sunlight of the Autumn season shines on her light brown hair, almost making it look blonde, and her eyes beautifully shine brighter than the blue sky. She looks up at me and gives me a smile. I do everything just to see that smile I've fallen in love with since the first time I saw it behind a screen.

"Mommy?"

"Mhm?"

"Is daddy coming to park?"

"I don't think so, sweetheart."

"Why?"

I gently clean her cheek from grape juice and say, "Well. Because he has to work."

"Why?"

"I don't know. Why don't we ask him today once he gets home?" She's satisfied with this answer and nods as she silently goes back to her grapes.

I have to say that we have this conversation almost everyday. She is still Shaun's number one fan since she was in the womb. I still let my heart fill with warmth every time they reunite at the end of the day.

My soldier instincts kick in as I see a man passing by the park. My muscles tense and I watch the way he sits at a far away bench.

I've had these kinds of tensions in the past two years. One day, just after her first birthday, I received a letter from an anonymous person. At the moment, I left the envelope there but when Shaun picked it up once he got home, it froze up and he quickly dropped it. I watched with shock at the way it froze everything around it. Before it could disappear, a shine of a frozen lion arose from it's ice.