Vivica

I'm starting to regret letting Shaun get a fish. Now I have to clean it's tank and make sure it doesn't die on me like all the pets I had in the past.

Whatever. If he dies, it's Shaun's fault. No blood on my hands for that death.

I quietly watch Daniel Tiger and my eyes start to turn heavy. Geez. I feel like I'm pregnant all over again. I rub my eyes and look at Hazel instead. My heart warms up at her small voice copying the song on the television. I chuckle at this and go on the floor to where Hazel is at.

"Baby? Why don't you come with me on the couch?"

Hazel looks up at me and brings up her arms for me to carry her. I lift her up and accommodate her on the couch with her favorite teddy bear, her snacks, and a few pillows. What a wonderful life.

I lay kisses on her cheeks and wrap my arm around her small body. She giggles at something on the television and I watch as she gets her last apple. She looks up at me and I say, "Do you want more?"

Hazel nods and says, "Yes, mommy."

Her tiny voice makes my heart jump and I lay a kiss on her tiny lips. "Okay. I'll be right back."

As I get some string cheese to add to her plate of snacks, a noise outside makes the hairs of my neck stand on point. I stay still and quickly look at my daughter. She's entertained on her cartoons. My eyes land on the windows. Nothing. That noise comes again and I quickly go to a window by the front door. I move the curtain a little and only see an old man bringing his trash bin back on his parking space. When he angrily lets it go, that noise comes back.

Phew.

I do a sigh of relief and go back to the kitchen. I push my fear to one side and focus on my daughter instead as I give her the plate of new snacks. "What do we say?"

"Thank you, mommy!" Her eyes shine at the various snacks and she attacks the string cheese first. I knew she'd like it.

After several moments of watching Daniel Tiger together, another noise comes from outside. This time it's different and my ears wake up to this noise. I sit up straighter and look around. My heart starts to pace and I quickly turn off the television. Hazel looks up at me with a frown and I put a finger on my lips. She starts to say something and I quickly whisper, "Wait. Okay? Just wait."

She stays silent and I listen for that noise again. Anything. A shiver runs down my spine as my ears try to hear for any footsteps. When there's no sounds, I take a hold of Hazel and start towards her room.

"Mommy..."

"Do you want to play with Teddy and his friends?" I say as I raise up the teddy bear for her to grab. Her eyes shine bright at the thought of me joining her usual adventures and nods happily. "Okay," I whisper as I give her forehead a kiss. "Let's go to your room."

I quickly put her on the floor and close the door of her room. I look down at my trembling hands and hide them as I turn back to Hazel. I give her a fake smile and say, "Okay. Let's play!"

She starts to squeal happily, but my muscles tense at that noise again. Out of instinct, I go over to my daughter and take her near her closet. I open it and see that there's a small space for her to hide in. I look back at the door and tears threaten to fall out as I hear the hint of footsteps inside the house.

"Mommy?" she starts to say and I quickly bring my finger to my lips. "Sweetie," I whisper to her. "I need you to do me a favor." Hazel stays quiet as her big eyes watch me with curiosity. "I need you to hide for me, okay?"

"Hide and seek?"

"Yes!" I whisper with a smile. "Hide and seek. But I need you to be very quiet, okay? I need you to hide in the closet for me."

"Okay, mommy," she says in her usual tiny voice and I quickly put her in her closet. I give her a reassuring smile and she returns it. My melts and shivers at her beautiful smile, but I still close the door.

Once the closet is safely closed, I go back to the door and see through a crack.

Nothing.

I let out a shaky breath and quickly move to the side when I see a figure pass by. I steady my breathing as I take out my phone and dial Shaun. My eyes are on the closet as I wait for Shaun to respond. It goes to voicemail and I clench my jaw with anger. My trembling hands start to dial Kitty, but a sudden stop in front of Hazel's door brings me to put my phone away and take out my hand; ready to freeze whomever passes through that door.

"Mommy?"

I frantically look back at the closet and quickly walk up to it as Hazel tries to come out.

"Mommy?"

"Baby. Stay in there," I whisper. "I'm coming to get you soon, okay?"

"Okay...." I can hear a hint of sadness in her voice, but it's nothing compared to the heaviness of my heart.

As I turn around to get back to the door, I see a tall hooded man standing in front of me. The man from the park.

Without hesitation, I take out my blue hand and let my ice land on his skin. But I'm left in surprise as he brings out his hand and burns my ice with fire. I angrily shoot back more ice with more strength, but someone hits my neck from behind and I fall hard on the ground.

I get up and get in position to fight, but a small voice brings me to look back at the closet and lose my stance. They take this distraction to punch me across my face and I lose my balance.

"Mommy?"

Among the black spots in my vision, I dizzily lift myself up and crawl towards the closet. But the hooded man takes my feet and drags me back. "No! Don't run away, princess!" he says in between devious laughter.

I don't know when, but I see another man enter my daughter's room. His eyes land on Hazel as she steps out of the closet. My heart drops to my feet and I frantically look for an escape for her. Her eyes are wide as she observes the scene and I quickly turn to kick their feet from the ground. This makes them grunt in pain and I turn back to Hazel to frantically say, "Run! Hazel run!"

Hazel stays glued to the ground and I get up to protectively wrap her in my arms. But strong hands grab my waist and pulls my hair back. Hazel yells at them to stop and they all laugh at her. Adrenaline runs through my veins when one of the men grab Hazel and start to pull her towards the door.

"No! Leave her alone!" I fight out of the hooded man's grasp with all my strength, and my arms urge to take my daughter. I cry in pain as I feel the other man stab a needle on my arm and I can feel the burning sensation of all the ice slowly fades away from my veins.

But I don't care. My eyes stay glued on Hazel as she cries for me. "Hazel!" I reach out to her as she reaches for me. The man carries her in his arms and I jump on the wall so my feet can push the men behind me with my weight. I accomplish this and I take this single moment to run after Hazel. She looks over at me with tears in her eyes and has her arm reached out to me as I run after that man.

But someone takes my hair and pulls me back. I land hard on the floor and a sharp bolt goes up my head. I grunt in pain and the cries of my daughter echo in ears. My weak body finds strength from anywhere and I manage to stand up. But another hit on my shoulders brings me to the ground and the world goes silent.

The world goes dark.