Vivica

"You're going to be a good girl, right?"

I look at the rear view mirror at an excited Hazel. She nods at me with a wide smile and I chuckle at this. "No wandering off, okay?"

"Okay, mommy!" My heart flies at her tiny voice and I give her a tender look through the mirror. "I can't lose you. I'll cry forever if I lose you."

"Don't cry, mommy," Hazel says with bright eyes. I let my heart melt at these words and I look back on the road. What did I do right to have such a beautiful, little girl?

"Don't worry, sweetheart," I say to her. "As long as you're by my side, I will always be happy."

"Mama?"

"Mhm?"

"Are we there yet?"

"No. Just a few more minutes."

"I want to see the frogs."

I do a disgusted face but she doesn't see my reaction. "Why do you want to see the frogs? There's prettier things at that park."

"I like to get the frogs, mommy."

I do a small chuckle. "Okay. But you have to wash your hands so you don't have anymore gooey stuff, okay?" She does a small nod and I park next to Dina's car. I turn off the car and get off. When I open the door, she's so excited that she could jump out with her car seat strapped to her.

"We're here!" I say as I unbuckle her.

"We're here! We're here!" I smile at her joy and carry her in my arms as I close the door.

She's in so much excitement, I'm afraid she might just cross the street without even looking. So I hold on tight to her as she happily looks around the park. I walk up a hill with my bag on my other shoulder and smile when I see Dina sitting at a bench. She has a large picnic basket on her side, and she looks up from organizing whatever is inside it when Hazel calls out to her. Dina gives us a wide smile as I get closer to her.

"Hello princess!" she says to her. Dina takes Hazel in her arms and gives her kisses on her cheeks. Hazel happily laughs at her hugs as Dina finally gives me a kiss on my cheek. "Hey kiddo. How are you?

"I'm fine, Dina. How are you? Hey." I look at Hazel that starts to play with Dina's necklace. I raise my eyebrows at her and say, "You haven't said a proper hello to your aunt."

Hazel's small cheeks blush at the small reprimand I gave her. She looks at Dina and gives her cheeks a sweet kiss. "Hi, Aunt Dina."

"That's much better," I say with a proud smile. "Now let's help Aunt Dina get the picnic ready!" Hazel jumps in Dina's arms and this makes her laugh. We quickly set up our section in the small area up the hill and get comfortable.

Dina slowly takes out small sandwiches and sweets from the basket. "I invited Anna and she immediately agreed. I was surprised since she always prefers to work at the orphanages on the weekends."

Anna's story immediately comes back to mind when I hear Dina say this. I give her a small nod and shrug. "Everyone needs a break."

What she needs is to lighten her load...

I watch Hazel's eyes go towards a pond just a few yards away. I already know what comes next. I take hold of her as she quickly gets up to run away and I sit her on my crossed legs. "Nah ah, young lady. First we have to eat!" Dina does a small chuckle as Hazel lets her shoulders fall in defeat.

I take Hazel's small plate and say to her, "Alright. Why don't you pray so we can eat?"

Hazel does a small nod and puts her tiny hands in position to pray. Dina and I close our eyes, but my smile does not leave my face at the sweet sound of her voice talking to God.