Vivica

My hands turn into fists as I listen to Shaun speak on the phone. I look at my daughter and see that she smiles with her puzzles. I turn my gaze at the door and then around the house. I need to find an escape just in case....

Shaun hangs up and panic arises in his eyes. He gives Hazel a small kiss on her head and stands up. "There's be an attack in the facility. It's your mother."

"She's here?!" My heart starts to pace and tension quickly falls onto me. Nausea flares up and I take a breath as I feel his warm hand on my arm.

"I don't think so. But they want to break in a place where it could take us closer to your mother." He stays quiet as I let all of this sink in. He puts a tender kiss on my forehead and gives me a determined look. "We're going to be okay. I promise. I won't let anyone hurt you."

Tears threaten to fall and I quickly grab his arm before he can step out. That loneliness tries hard to overwhelm me as I imagine the front door never opening again with his lovely voice.

"Don't go," I sadly say. "Kitty can get someone else. Jack. Or Indina."

"Indina will be there. They will all be there, but they need me."

"No. Please. I'm....scared that you won't come back."

Shaun can see the worry in my eyes and he takes me his arms. He runs a tender hand on my hair and kisses my head. "Do you remember the day we got married?"

I chuckle against his chest at the memory of that magical night. "I do. I remember you nearly broke a chandelier when you popped open the cork of the wine."

Shaun gently laughs at the memory. "That was your fault. You told me to do that."

"It wasn't my fault you don't have a sense of coordination." We share a laugh and we look over at Hazel who quietly watches us. Her big blue eyes sweetly taking in our every movement. I give her a smile and say, "Daddy has to go right now, okay?"

Her small face suddenly turns sad and her eyes start to water as they look up at Shaun. Shaun slowly walks up to her and picks her up. She sadly wraps her arms around his neck and puts her head on his shoulder, thinking that this will make him stay.

"I will be back, okay?" he gently whispers to her. She does a small sniffle. It's as if she knows the risk he's stepping in. "But you have to finish up that puzzle for me, okay?"

"Don't go," she sadly whispers. My heart shrinks at this. I know how she feels. I don't know what I'll do if he never comes back. My mother will definitely hear from me if she causes his death.

Hazel lifts up her head and looks at Shaun. He smiles at her and says, "You promise you'll be a good girl until I come back?" She gives him a sad nod and Shaun puts a light kiss on her cheek. "Don't forget to pray for me." Hazel gives him one last hug before Shaun puts her in my arms.

Shaun looks at me and determination fills up my heart with his bright blue eyes. "Do you remember my vows to you?" I quietly nod and he says, "I plan on keeping those promises. I promised you that I will always come home at the end of the day. I will fight whomever I have to so I can come back home."

At last, my heart is set firm and determined as I lay a hand on his cheek. I let my eyes burn through him as I say, "Then do it with honor. Serve justice and come back home." He gives me a firm nod and gives Hazel one last smile before stepping out. We quietly watch as the door softly closes and the house is left silent.

I hear her do a small sniffle by my neck and I turn to look at her wiping away tears. My heart shrinks and I pout. "Oh no! No. Don't cry! We're going to have so much fun together!" She does more sniffles and I put a comforting kiss on her cheek. "Let's do something, yeah? What do you want to do?"