Shaun

I let out a sigh of exhaustion. I haven't slept since the day my girls arrived at the facility. I'm scared to hold them. I'm afraid I might break. Guilt is my companion and I wonder if this is how it feels like to be cold. Kitty sees this in me and tries to talk me out of it, but I can't. Not when I see my wife so hurt. In so much pain. Indina was right. I should be the one on that bed, not her.

I've never understood what she sees me in. I can read her so well and every time her eyes landed on me since the day we've met, this happiness made her blue green eyes shine. I never understood why. I'm nobody. I'm not rich. I can't give her everything she deserves. I'm not the strongest man on Earth. In fact, my touch only freezes up everything. What does she see in me?

Now I see that same shine in my daughter. Whenever she wakes up, her eyes shine when she sees me by her mother's side. What is it about me that makes her smile? I try my best to be better for her and I've failed her. I've failed to the both of them.....

I walk to the interrogation section of the facility. Anna is with Viv so I can at least stay away from Viv's gaze. She can see my guilt and she tries hard to make me feel better, but it all comes back when I see Hazel's bruised arms.

My blood boils when I stand by June at the large tinted window. She studies every single movement he does as Bellamy interrogates the prisoner. "Nothing?" I say to her.

She shakes her head at me and says, "These people are very loyal to their queen. I don't want to input force."

"Let me talk to him," I firmly say.

June's eyes study me now. She shakes her head and says, "No. You are angry. It won't work if you yell at him or punch him. Trust me. I know you want to do that, but that is not how--"

"Let me talk to him."

June gives me a surprised look now. Her hazel eyes see my guilt and her expression softens. "Shaun. I understand what you're going through is hard, but trust me that guilt won't help you out here. Nor will you find healing in him. Go back to your family. They need you."

My heart shrinks at these words. They need me, but I can't seem to protect them. I am not enough....

I shake my head at her as I fight back tears. "Please. I want to speak to him."

"Let him go, June."

I hear Shaw's booming voice behind him and I give him a thankful nod. June presses a button on the panel in front of her and I hear the lock open. With this, I step in and the man looks up. He takes me in with his dark brown eyes filled with exhaustion. Bellamy gives me a nod before walking out.

"Who are you?" he says to me.

I quietly sit in front of him on the table and shrug. "That doesn't matter, does it?"

"I won't speak," he says to me firmly. My hands urge to strangle him, but I stay put.

"Why?"

"Because the queen will only get to you sooner or later. If I say anything, it won't be of no use. She already changed up the plan depending on the situation. I'm glad I'm here. At least I'm alive." He does a small laugh that makes my blood boil.

"Now," I say in a steady voice. "What were you in her plan? Just a random character taking in an innocent little girl and her mother?"

"Hey," he says with hands raised up in surrender. "We were told to just take the princess. Not a child. The boss was the one that ordered me to take the girl."

I clench my jaw at this and tell myself to stay calm. I turn my hands into fists as I say to him, "So your boss must've been the man I shot in the head."