Shaun

Vivica has told me Anna's secret. We were in bed and when I turned to look at her, her eyes were watery for her sister.

"I can't imagine not having Hazel. Can you imagine that, Shaun? That would be terrible!" I gave her a comforting squeeze on her soft hand and nodded. I can't imagine my life without my girls as well....

But now we're on the couch as Viv tenderly hugs my waist and lays her head on my chest. I rub her shoulders lovingly and we quietly watch our daughter watch Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood on television. I haven't been home for two days since I've had the night shifts as well. I'm actually doing police work now! But in the end, I prefer to be like I am now. Enjoying a moment of peace with my family.

I watch Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood just as concentrated as Hazel is. She barely feels anything as she slowly puts slices of apples on the small bowl of peanut butter that Viv put for her and eats them up. I chuckle at my little girl and look back at Daniel Tiger.

A light bulb suddenly turns on in my head as I see Daniel Tiger discuss something about pets with his friends in kindergarten class. Remembering the bet I did with Kitty, I look over at Viv who has gotten up to put milk in one of Hazel's cups for her to drink.

"Hey, honey?"

"Yes?"

"So....have you thought of my proposition?"

Viv goes over to Hazel so she can put her cup of milk by her side. "What proposition?"

"The proposition about a pet."

Viv looks at me and rolls her eyes. "Really? I thought we finished that discussion a long time ago."

"But....we didn't." I carefully say this as I watch her give me a chuckle.

"Okay then. What is your argument?" She sits by me on the couch and crosses her arms on her chest. Her smirk makes a smile start at my lips. Oh. It's on.

"Well," I playfully say. "I think a dog will bring joy to this house more than there already is."

"Why would a dog bring joy? Isn't there other things that could bring joy?"

"Like...another kid?" I raise my eyebrows at her playfully and she narrows her eyes at me. This makes me laugh and say, "Okay. Understood."

"I just think that bringing in a pet will be more work for me. You will be gone sometimes and I'm left alone with them!"

"But I will pick up it's poop! It's like changing diapers and I was a master at that."

Viv does a small sigh and says, "But it's not just about picking up poop. It's about training it. Teaching it as if it were another child, Shaun! If you're trying to tell me that you want another kid, let's wait until my mother completely disappears so we can think about having another kid."

I turn towards her this time with begging eyes. "Viv. It's not about that. If God wants, He will give us more kids in the future but....every family has to have a dog!" Viv frowns and starts to say something, but I quickly interrupt. "Okay! Then how about a hamster?!"

Viv laughs at this. "I once had a hamster, but it died very quickly. I forgot that it was delicate and I accidentally squished it too hard. I was only five by the way."

"Well?" I let my smile grow wide at her silly memory and she quickly goes back to her firmness.

"No."

I grunt in defeat but quickly say, "A turtle?"

"Shaun! Those things grow! You waste more money in those reptiles than in dogs! And I'm telling you from experience."