Shaun

"She's in."

My heart threatens to tremble but the little hums from behind me tells me to stay strong. I smile at Hazel as I continue to listen to what is going on at the facility. The spies are finally in. Everyone is at their positions. All we need is to have Kilron open the building for our other spies to walk in as guards, while Nathan will tell us when Viv is in position.

"Daddy?"

"Yes, baby?"

"Where are we going?"

"We are going to see Simon. Remember? At the children's section? Where all the kids play!"

"Okay, daddy!"

"You hungry, honey?"

"No, daddy. I wanna play!"

I chuckle at her little voice. If there's anyone who can convince me to not run away, its her.

We get to the facility and I carry Hazel to my side. She, too, notices the sudden silence of the facility. If there is anyone outside, they are guards and soldiers that will be part of the siege.

Because of our last attack from Victor, Shaw has commanded everyone to stay indoors. Only those who have the Guard badge are allowed to roam out of the mini apartments and inside each department section. This way, it's easier to detect anyone who is an infiltrator and keep the refugee families safe at the same time.

I quietly walk to the Children's Department as a guard sternly observes my outfit. I give him a firm nod and enter in the large room. There are more kids than before since most of their parents are at the large meeting room to get ready for the mission.

Rose comes towards me as I put my thumb on the door and it lets me in. There are extra guards in here whenever there is a mission. Our number one group of people to protect are the children. They are our future.

"Hey, Shaun."

"Hey, Rose. Take good care of her please."

"Hi, Rose!" Hazel gives her a wide smile as she wraps her arms around me.

"Hey, pretty lady! Ready to have some fun?!"

"Yes! Simon?" Her eyes start to search for her friend, and she does a small excited gesture when she sees him happily go down the tall slide.

I put Hazel down and watch her run up to Simon as he gives her a happy hug. Rose looks back at me with her warm smile. "Don't worry about it, Shaun. They will be in good hands."

I watch my little girl talk to Simon. A smile starts at my lips at the sight of her happiness. I don't want to go. I don't want to leave her. Who knows if this is the last time I see her...

So I call out to her and she comes running over with her shining eyes. I kneel down in front of her and give her a tender smile. "Sweetheart. I have to go."

Her happy eyes suddenly turn worried and this breaks my heart. "Why? Where are you going, daddy?"

"I have to go to work." I take a hold of her small hands and her eyes grow sad.

"Again?"

I give her a small chuckle. "Yes. Again. But this one will take longer. But...I'll try to come back, okay?"

Her eyes start to tear up and my heart shatters. I quickly take a hold of her and instead say, "I will be back, okay baby girl? Daddy will be back."

"Come back quick, daddy."

"I will. I just have to pick up mommy and I'll be back!" I wipe her tears and look into those beautiful eyes as if it were the last time. I let her tiny arms wrap around me and create warmth all over my heart like they always do.