Chapter 23

AHMED

  After several hours of waiting in my car outside  if I was going to see Zeenat come out of the house but I didn't see anyone come out or go out for the past two days I have been coming now. I decided to go pick Omar up from school.

    "Hey, little man" I said as Omar entered into the back sit of the car.

   "Why that look on your face" I asked turning back to look at him.

   "Layla hasn't been in school for some days now, she passed out in class and was rushed to the Hospital" he explained sadly.

    "Ohh, wow, how is she now? Does anyone know how she is" I asked curiously.

   "Can we go and see her now at the hospital" he asked concerned.

   "But I have stuffs to do today, we need to check out those apartments" I explained.

  "Daddy please" he pleaded.

"Alright, alright, I will check in with your teacher to ask for where she was taken. We will spend only few minutes there and then we will go right home" I said.

   After few minutes of driving we got to the hospital. We walked to the receptionist to ask what room she was and that we needed to see her. We were given the direction to the paediatrics ward and told the room number.

    We got to the room and as I knocked on the door opening it. I saw Usman sitting on a chair in the room with Layla on the bed.

   "Hello Usman" I said, facing him as Omar immediately went towards where Layla was.

   "Hey, thanks for coming" he said

"Omar insisted, he wouldn't have let me free easily"

   "By the way, how is she doing, I hope she is fine" I asked and Usman was about to answer when someone opened the door and when i I looked in the direction it was Zeenat. There was so many questions running through my mind. But I couldn't even utter a word as I just stared at her.

   "Zeenat, this is.." Usman was about to introduce me to Zeenat before she cut him off.

   "What are you doing here, why are you here" she asked with a blank expression on her face.

   "Layla is friends with his son Omar" Usman said as I was still speechless.

    "You need to leave here, you can'tbe righ" Layla said sternly then she immediately walked out of the room and I followed closely behind her immediately.

   "Zeenat" I called out but she just continued walking away without stopping.

   "I just want to talk to you, please just here me out. I have been looking for you forever now. I came back purposely because of you" I said and then she suddenly stopped and looked back to face me.

  "I don't want to talk to you Ahmed, I really can't do this now, there is so much going on I just can't deal with this drama now" Zeenat said but I couldn't just leave her alone with so many unanswered questions.

   "I think you should go now" I looked to the side to see Zeenat's mother.

   I had no option now but to leave but I wasn't going to back down anytime soon. Alot of things didn't seem right. Was Zeenat married to Usman? Was Layla their daughter? The last time I checked Layla wasn't Married to anyone. I went back to get Omar in the ward then we went out with so much questions in my head. I picked up my phone to call my detective friend abdul to make things easy for me. I was an over thinker and I knew I wouldn't be able to get it all out of my head.

    "Hey Abdul, please I need you to help me with something, I will send you the details"

ZEENAT

   I watched as Ahmed turned around to leave, what was he doing here after everything that had happened!! After six years, he decided to come now. Why now? There was so many questions running through my mind though but I really didn't want to talk to Ahmed.  Did that mean I was still hurt? Will I actually ever forgive him?

   I went out to clear my head as mother went back to the ward so Usman could go back to work.

   Few minutes later I went back to the ward, Layla already started chemotherapy and I hoped  she improved fast and well.

   "Layla darling" I said as I entered into the room.

   "Mommy, where did you go" Layla asked

"I went out to clear my head dear" I said as I sat close to her on the bed looking at her. She looked pale but she was strong, she makes me even have more hope that everything is going to be fine

   "Omar brought me this" Layla said smiling  stretching out the get well soon card Omar had made for her.

   "It's so nice"i said smiling back at her.

"I am going to make your favourite for dinner today" I said looking at Layla

   "Thank you mummy" she said smiling.

"Why was he here" mother suddenly asked after a moment of silence as Layla dozed off to sleep.

   "I don't know mother, I haven't spoken or seen him in 6years. So I really don't know but I think Omar and Layla attend the same school though" I said as memories of the visit played back in my memory.

   "What did he say then"

"I didn't give him a chance to talk, there is so much going on right now and I don't need any drama" i said.

   "Does he know Layla is his daughter" mother asked

   "I don't think so and I am not planning on telling him anyways. He left already, he should remain invisible and gone"