Chapter 29

ZEENAT

    "I am not with rianat again" Ahmed suddenly said

   "Ohh, I didn't know" I said not knowing how to respond to what he just said.

   "I found out she was cheating on me and Omar wasn't my biological son. But I had to keep him anyways" he explained further like he reallu wanted me to know that part of his life. So many things had changed, years had passed but he wasn't actually different from the Ahmed I used to know, same smile, composure, style and every other thing.

     "Okay, I didn't know that" I replied.

"I am so sorry about everything, you deserve so much better than the way I treated you" he said apologetically.

    "I am sorry for keeping you away from Layla too and I really shouldn't have blamed you for all that happened. You were also cut up in all of it just like I was" I said.

     "It's all fine" he said.

"Layla is such a beauty,I am glad looks alot like you. Her smile is as heavenly as yours. She is such a sweetheart" he said and I smiled.

   "But she does have your stubborn attitude you know" I said and we both laughed.

    "I am sure you're over exaggerating it, she just wants to be heard I guess" he said

    "You're already making excuses for her" I said smiling.

    "I have to take her side on this one" he said smiling back.

   "Do you want to see Layla" I asked

"Sure" he said and then we both stood from the chair to go back inside.

    "Thank you" he suddenly said as we walked back inside.

   "For what, she is your daughter too anyways" I said .

   "And you can come by to see her when you want to" I added

   "Wow, are you being serious right now" he said  excitedly

   "Yes, I am"

"And thank you again for making the transplant possible" I said

   "It was nothing really" he said.

Few minutes later I got back to the ward with Ahmed. Usman had gone and it was just Mother with Layla.

   Immediately I entered the room, I walked up to Layla and mother was giving me the "what are you doing" look as she saw with Ahmed.

   "Layla dear" I said to her "This is Ahmed" I added.

   "Uncle Ahmed" she said excitedly. I wasn't sure whether to tell her of the new development about her father or just keep mute about it till later.

   "Layla, you always asked me about your father right" I said looking at mother then back at Layla still wondering if it was the right time to say such. But sometimes the right now is just now so I just decided to say it anyways.

    "Yes mummy"

"Ahmed is your dad" I said and I could in a way already see the excitement in her face because I figured they already connected already.

    "Can I talk to you for a second" mother said to me then I left Layla with Ahmed and went out the door with mother.

    "Are you sure about all this" she asked curious.

"Mother, he deserves a chance at being Layla's father. I can't take that away from him" I explained.

    "He left remember, for six years and he comes back now and you're okay with everything" she said.

   "Mother, I have forgiven Ahmed and found everything I seeked for and for the first time in six years, I am at peace with my self. I think it's time you also move on from the past and for you to go that, you need to start from forgiving Ahmed" I said looking at mother

   "Moreover, he was also a victim of everything that happened just like me" I added

  "Alright then, I guess it is only right we gave him another chance" mother said.

     We went back inside to meet a laughing Layla and Ahmed and I just watched wondering how he was so  good with Layla. It was obvious Layla liked him a lot already too. The sight made me happy. Never in forever had I ever taught this day would come.

     Ahmed was still as funny as ever as he cracked his jokes and made his funny faces. It was good to have happiness be restored and peace of mind from forgiveness.

     "I should probably go now to pick up Omar from school" Ahmed said to me after some hours he had spent with us.

    "I will surely drop by from time to time" he said.

   "It's all fine" I replied

"Thank you again for everything" he added

     "I already told you it's all good" I said as I half smiled.

   AHMED

"Bye ma" I said to Zee's mother as I was about leaving.

   "Have a nice day" she replied.

"Bye Layla, I will be back to see you again tomorrow" I said

   "Bye dad" she said and I just froze on the spot, she just called me dad, she just did!!! It was undoubtedly my happiest moment and that day was one of my happiest too. I smiled all the way home and it felt like I had won a lottery.

    I was glad Zee and I finally talked and that she was ready to give me a chance to be Layla's father. It all felt like I was dreaming until I had to pinch myself several times to confirm that it was all really happening for real.

    I picked up Omar from school and we drove home after getting some groceries from the store. I had just recently moved out of te house. When we got home and as I was getting the groceries arranged I heard the door bell ring. I opened it and realized it was mother.

    "What are you doing here mother" I said curiously.

    "At least let me in so I can tell you what it is about" she said then I let her into the house as i closed the door behind her then we walked to the living room where she sat.