sixteen

❝I'm gonna protect you, I'll be like Jekyll and Hyde

I'm gonna protect you, I'll be like Jekyll and Hyde.

It was past three in the afternoon and Kevin is walking by the street while eating an ice cream on a popsicle. He decided to take a walk around the city since he doesn't have a shift for today.

Kevin bit on his ice cream before he halted his steps in front of a familiar shop where he and Seojin always went when they are still together.

It was just a small shop which sells some stuff toys and plushies. They would always stop on the shop after their dates and before he walks Seojin home.

And it has been a while since Kevin went inside and he would be lying to himself if he doesn't miss it. He immediately finished his ice cream and went inside the shop after that.

He then headed on the aisle where the penguin stuffed toys are. Memories started to flood on his mind, and it made him smile a bit.

"Kevin? Is that you?"

Kevin then looked on his right and his smile grew wider after recognizing who it was.

"Miss Kim! It's nice to see you again! How are you?"

"I'm doing good as always," the middle-aged woman replied. "How about you?"

"Kinda fine," Kevin responded with a slight chuckle.

"Hmm, why are you alone? Where's Seojin?"

Kevin bit his lower lip before giving the woman a butter smile.

"Kevin, don't tell me that what I am thinking is actually right."

"What if I say yes?"

"Is that the reason why I haven't seen you two visiting our shop for almost a year already? May I asked what happened?"

"It just happened," Kevin quietly spoke. "We talked for a while before we decided to let it all go. I didn't want to let her go at first, but I'd be selfish if I won't."

"Do you still see each other after that?"

Kevin nodded. "We met again after over seven months. Since then, we always see each other often. We talk to each other too and it makes me happy."

"I see, you haven't moved on yet."

"That's pretty obvious," Kevin said with a slight laugh. "It's hard, but I gotta get through it."

"What about her?"

"Seojin is definitely fine," Kevin responded. "She already found someone who treats her better than I did."

"Don't say such things like that," the woman tells him. "I witnessed how the two of you grew up so well. From freshman year until a year ago. Seven years is a long time."

"It is indeed a long time, but we are not meant for each other. I just gotta accept the reality because it slaps me hard now."

"You're a man, Kevin. I couldn't be more proud of you."

Kevin slightly laughed and grabbed a penguin stuffed toy from the aisle. "I'll get one of this," he said while clutching on the plushy.

The night came. It was already past eight in the evening and Kevin is still walking around the city while hugging the penguin stuffed toy that he bought earlier.

Everything was all fine, not until the loud honking and screeching of tires blared.

Kevin looked back and saw a ten wheeler truck that is out of control and heading towards the sidewalk where he stood. He then saw a familiar woman walking a few meters away behind him. Kevin dropped the stuffed animal after he recognized who it was.

"Seojin! Look out!" he yelled as he ran towards Seojin who is frozen on her place.

There are two ways in order for them to avoid the truck. It's either they throw themselves at the middle of the road, or risk themselves on getting under the truck.

There is no time to think. If they throw themselves on the road, there is a big possibility that they will be both hit by the truck, but if they drop themselves on the ground, well, we don't know. It's either they both die or they both survive.

Kevin did not think twice and back hugged Seojin before dropping themselves on the ground. The screeching of tires and the honking of the truck got louder, and all could Kevin do is to hug Seojin tighter, not leaving any gaps in between his chest and her back.

Crashing then followed as the truck bumped itself on the shops beside the sidewalk.

"Damn it," Kevin cursed under his breath when he felt something wet on his back.

"Kev? A-are you o-okay?" Seojin asked underneath him.

"Yeah, I'm good," Kevin responded. "Get out of here quickly," he tells her as he loosened his grip on her.

Seojin then looked at him. "Then follow me behind-"

She was interrupted when she saw the gasoline from the truck was slowly soaking Kevin's back.

"Seojin, just go first. Start crawling and I'll follow," Kevin reassures her.

Both of them started crawling until they finally got out underneath the truck. They were greeted many people who are relieved that the two of them did not get any injuries.

Kevin helped Seojin get up and checked if she had any injuries, he smiled a bit when he found nothing.

"Seojin?"

Kevin and Seojin looked back, only to see Hyunjae across the street, almost crying. Hyunjae then ran up to Seojin and hugged her tight, mumbling that he really is sorry for leaving her waiting on the sidewalk.

Kevin immediately averted his gaze on them and took of his hoodie that is slightly soaked in gasoline. He was about to leave without saying any word, but Seojin called him.

"Kev? Where are you going?"

Kevin faced them with a small smile on his lips. "I'm going home," he says.

"Thank you for saving her."

He looked at Hyunjae with a cold stare.

"You'd do the same if you were me," he told him. "You shouldn't leave her alone wherever you go, especially at night. It would be better if you take her home now," he said one last time before walking away.

Kevin then glanced at the truck that almost killed them. He then noticed something that was squeezed under the left front tire of the truck.

It was the penguin stuffed toy that he bought earlier.