1. The Art of Deceit

Some ravens were pecking at the rocks on the floor, searching for breadcrumbs in front of a wooden door, which once seemed to have been of green colour

Some ravens were pecking at the rocks on the floor, searching for breadcrumbs in front of a wooden door, which once seemed to have been of green colour. Even though it was worn out, you still could read _____'s Divinations written in a crappy cursive trying to look elegant.

It wasn't too long before a young girl slammed the door open, scaring the birds off and making them scatter away. The girl who almost destroyed what was left of the door ran past the remaining birds.

"Shit, shit, shit! Am I late?" The pink-haired girl went to look at her wristwatch, realizing she left it at home. She cursed while she kept running. "Fuck! Nevermind, I can't lose time on that. I think I still can get there on time..."

She arrived at the entrance of her favourite pub. The sound of her clairvoyance gadgets jingling in her bag. She held it tightly to avoid it being in her way while running. There, in that old stinky bar, where prostitutes, pirates and other ne'er-do-wells gathered, it was where _____ could make a living with her predictions. Not many people visited her hovel for that.

But maybe it's better if she continues the story from here.

»»——————————⍟———————————««

I opened the door to the Red Fox, and even if the clientele weren't the most distinguished, it was where you could find the majority of people who were willing to pay a stranger to tell them their fortune. It wasn't something that had everyone in awe, I had assumed that already.

"You again, lass?" The owner of the bar, a lady with a weird and extravagant hair and dress talked at the same time she exhaled the smoke of a cigar. Madame Ciggy, as they called her around here. She only had one hand. The other one was replaced by a hook, with which she held her cigars, hence the name a drunkard came up with some night.

Nonetheless, her nice attitude made up for her menacing appearance. Or so I wanted to believe if she hadn't kicked me out already for managing my business in her business. I am sure she was a lovely woman. A lovely lethal woman.

"I know deep down you love me, Mrs Ciggy." I winked cheekily. "You know, I read something good in the cards for you today."

"What a coincidence, I saw something, too; you stopped wandering around here, messing with my clientele." She joked. If I didn't know her, though, I would think she actually didn't want me to step in her store anymore. Even so, I smiled nervously and opened my bag at a table near the bar.

"When did you start with this card business, _____?" Ciggy asked.

"Mmm..." I looked up to the ceiling unconsciously. "I think it's been five months already."

"Five? Time flies, it seems as if it was yesterday when you begged that I let you work here." She laughed.

"Pff, I did not beg." I answered with less confidence than what I would've wanted. Ciggy rolled her eyes.