The Fall

Year 845

"That's just awful." A man said. 

"If only they would stay inside the wall, they'd all be safe and sound." Another man said.  

"Soldiers are nothing but a waste of taxes." My blood began to boil as I stood there speechless about what they were saying. 

"It's ridiculous," The same man said. I tighten my fist trying not to say something. They don't even know. What stuff they have to go through, and they have the audacity to say something. 

"So basically our taxes are used to fatten up those bastards by providing them with "snacks"."

*BONK* 

I gasp at the sight of Eren hitting the old man on the top of his head with a log. 

"Eren!!! Why in the-" All of a sudden I feel my collar being tugged against my throat. Mikasa was dragging Eren and me through the streets with the man yelling right behind us. 

Picking up dirt with my clothes being dragged and with some even being ripped she threw us both over her shoulder letting the logs fly up into the air with Eren and I landing on top of each other. 

"I didn't even do anything this time!!!" I said upside down. I felt a body moving from underneath me. I gasped and shot up from my position as my cheeks turn bright red.

"What the hell was that for Mikasa?! Now you have the firewood all over the place!!!" Eren yelled at Mikasa while she just stood there with no expression. 

"Eren... Have your feelings about the Survey Corps...Changed?" Eren simply just looked at her with a cold response. 

"Help me pick up the wood Mikasa..." 

--------------------------------------------------- 

I had made my way holding the back of my head because there was a big bump. But I couldn't stop thinking about Eren and his future or what I would do. 

'Eren has been my friend since day 1 and to think that he has such a big dream is insane to me, I mean, of course, we shared the same thoughts and passion about going beyond the walls but to be completely honest, I'm still lost.' 

'What if he dies and I don't know, what if Mikasa gets killed? I would never know... I want to join the Survey Corps but ever since my father passed I still have yet to find my purpose... What would I be fighting for.' 

---------------------------------------------------- 

"Mother!!! I'm home!!" I made my way inside the house and took off my shoes to see her in the kitchen. 

"Hey, there honey. How was your day out?" She gives me a bright smile that never failed to warm my heart. 

"Oh, it was fine... I was dragged- Oh!! We saw the Scouts come back from their expedition." I say making my way to grab a cold cloth placing it on the back of my head. 

"W-was it just like last time?" My mom nearly dropped the knife she had placed in her hands to cut carrots. 

I took a moment to breathe and collect my thoughts, "Yeah...This one lady lost her son... People started talking down on them as usual...But this time, there were more casualties and the feeling of depression almost crushed you." She looked at me with her amber eyes and cupped my face. 

"Look at you...All grown up, what would your dad think of you right now.." I had nearly choked on my own spit as I looked to my left to see my father's patch hung up on the wall.