Chapter 6- Ash

We arrived at the rendezvous some time after. We couldn't go all the way there as there weren't roads leading into the secluded forest, so we walked the rest of the way.
I would've transformed, that probably would've been faster, & more discrete. Wolves in a forest are not as unusual as 2 random people. But Adair didn't transform, so it'd just be awkward if it was only me.
We arrived at the rendezvous shortly, but there was no 1 there. I looked around, but still no 1.
"I don't- understand. Where are they...?"
Adair looked on nervously, & I decided to make the call.
I transformed in an instant, my fur growing & teeth sharpening as my body changed. Adair looked on, eyes wide, but didn't do anything. Maybe he was just a little shy or something...
I let out a loud howl into the forest, calling my brethren to come forth, greet me. I was no stranger to them & within minutes they arrived, eyes showing through the dense foliage as they transformed into humans & stepped forward. My family.
Adair stepped back a bit, eyes wide, before his expression suddenly changed & he smiled, extending his hand. "Hi, I'm Adair. I'm your... Well, I'm with Ash. As in, 'with' Ash. Like, romantically. Like, we're an item, a thing... Ugh, we're dating. & uh..." He looks at me nervously & I smile. "I was wondering if.. I could be his mate?"
There was a silence for a moment, & then my family stepped forward, my mom 1st. She took me into her arms, & I received her gratefully, her scarlet hair falling onto my shoulder as she hugged me fiercely.
She pulled back smiling, tears in her eyes. "I'm so proud of you, honey," She said. "Of the pup you've become. & I'd be glad to let you take Adair as your mate." All my siblings nodded, my closest in age, Juniper, patting me on the shoulder lightly & smiling. My mom turned back to my dad, who was looming in the background. "Wouldn't we, honey?"
My dad looked at me then, brows knit, deep in thought. "But" he began. "That- you can't possibly be able to have a pack though. Raise pups. How'd you do that without a... Woman? How could you ever be happy?" He scratched his head, confused.
My mom looked back at him. "Lake! That is no way to talk to your pups! It's not always about kids! & I'm sure he could..." She looked back at me for assurance. "...Always adopt, right?"
My dad shook his head, his brows furrowed. "But they'd never be your blood. That just wouldn't work."
"Dad..." I sighed. "We are more than just our animal parts. So what if I don't want a full pack? It's not about passing down our genes, we aren't like actual wolves in the wild!"
He shook his head again, voice increasing in volume a bit. "But don't you want kids?"
I sighed again, anger building. "I do. But that's not the top priority, it's my happiness! If I really want kids I can just adopt! & why do you care, it's my future, not yours?!"
He crossed his arms, getting defensive. "I care about you, ok?! I just want what's best for you."
I exhaled heavily through my nostrils, frustrated. "So being with a guy & being happy is not what's best for me?"
"No." He shook his head again. "& as long as you're in this pack you will follow that, for your own good, for the good of the pack."
"Or what?" I growled, teeth bared. "You'll kick me out?"
I expected him to say no, to back down, to let me be me, which is just what I wanted, not any of this. But no.
"Yes, if I have to, I will. I'll exile you if I have to." He stood his ground, expression sober, arms crossed & legs spread apart.
& I. Was fuming. "Ok, then. Come on, Adair, let's go. It seems we aren't welcome here," I spat, & my dad flinched slightly as me & Adair retreated, my hand tightly on his wrist as I ran, him following close behind.
Ran. Back to the car parked in an alley. & back. To hopefully, my new home.
Sorry, guys. I know this chapter isn't happy, but it has to be done 😬😟😭
Random poll question (if you even reply to this, lol 😅): Who's your favorite character so far? I'd say mine is Ash bc he's baby, but that's just my opinion...