Chapter 21- Ash

It was difficult for me to not transform into my human form all throughout lunch. From the awkward silence & mutual stares before the food was ready, to the hilarious conversations between Linh & his aunt, it would have helped to have been able to talk myself.

So many times, during their conversations, I wanted to jump in too, & add my own points that related, but I couldn't. Not with me being in my wolf form, & me & Linh agreeing we'd wait til we were all reunited before telling them. & I wanted to respect Linh's wishes.

I just... couldn't wait. For tonight. When I'd let them both know my true self. & hopefully. They'd let me stay.

I originally just had the chapter end here, but that's so short, so... Time skip minus ending the chapter, lol...

That evening arrived both too soon & not soon enough. I mean, I wanted to tell Auntie Châu & Aunt Joy, but like... I hadn't thought of... What they would think of me afterward. Would they accept me? Or would I be kicked out? Linh had said that they would accept me, & I trusted him... But at the same time... I was scared. Scared to show them my true self, lest they reject me.

As soon as Auntie Châu arrived from her shift at the hospital that evening, we all gathered in the living room, as we always did. To welcome her and hang out, before we went to bed at 9.

This time, however, would be much different.

I looked at Linh. He cleared his throat. "Um... Aunties?"

They looked at each other, & then at him, lovingly, though a bit confused by his tone. "Yes?"

"Um... There's something I should tell you. Well, not me... Um, 'Lucky'..." He scratched behind his neck nervously & looked between me & them in confusion.

Auntie Châu answered first. "Honey... What exactly do you mean by that? Lucky can't talk. Are you sure you're doing ok?"

Aunt Joy patted his shoulder. "You should go get some rest. The anticipation of college must be stressing you out." She stood up, as if to go, when I decided it was now or never.

In an instant, I shifted, from wolf to human. Fur & teeth changing back to my hoodied self from before.

The Aunties looked on in amazement, mouths a bit wide. All was silent.

"I tried to tell you." Linh laughed nervously into the void, & we all started laughing, though a bit hesitantly.

I stepped forward slowly, and the Aunties watched, a bit surprised, but not frightened, thankfully. "I'm Ash, by the way." I came forward to shake their hands & they hesitantly took them, each individually.

"So... you're a werewolf?" Auntie Châu asked slowly, after shaking my hand last.

"Yes..." I smiled nervously, trying to be reassuring. "But I promise, no harm came, or will ever come, to your family, as long as I'm here. I mean no mal intent, honest. & if you want me to leave... I will..."

"Woah, woah, woah..." Aunt Joy raised her hand to stop me. "The situation is a bit weird... True. But we wouldn't kick you out. It was nice having another member of our family, wasn't it, Châu, darling?"

Châu nodded. "Yes, certainly. Though a bit weird now... Considering you were eating dog food... & pooping in our yard all along..." [Lol, that's awkward :D]

"Yeah..." I laughed nervously, scratching my neck. "Sorry about that. I'll admit, that was a bit weird. But I couldn't tell you I was actually a wolf. I can't talk in my wolf form. & I was injured, so I couldn't transform. So I just had to... Go along with it, I guess?" My face reddens, but the Phams smile.

"No, no." Auntie Joy smiles warmly. "It's ok, I suppose. But..." She sobered. "If you're here... Where is your family? Do you have one? Are they ok?"

"Well..." I sit down on the couch & everyone else follows. I look down at the floor, & continue, despite the rising wave of despair I feel at the memory. "My family- I have a mom & dad, two sisters & a brother. All my siblings are around my age. We're from the same litter, but I'm slightly older. I- well-" I clear my throat & Linh places his hand gently on my shoulder for support. "When it came time to venture out on my own... I told my family I was gay... & that I might not carry on the family lineage in exactly the way they want me to... & most of my family... They were okay with it... But my dad. He said I'd never be happy. So he kicked me out, after we had a big fight." I exhale slowly & gradually look up at the Phams. They all look on tenderly, & Châu breaks the silence first.

"But... Did your father shoot you? Because you had bullet wounds when you arrived here..."

"Uh..." I grimace, inhaling a big breath before continuing. "That... was from an ex of mine... That shot me... For some reason? He... uh... Came back today..." Châu & Joy's eyes widen. "But don't worry, we took care of it. He's in jail now." I laugh nervously & they relax a little. We sit in silence for a minute.

"Well..." Auntie Châu sighs. "Today has been... A long day. Especially with... that." She gets up to leave & I frown, uncertain what her next response will be. "But... you're welcome to stay here..." She waves her hand in my direction. "As long as it's ok with the two of them."

Her wife beams & nods, & Linh does too, though a bit more vigorously, for some reason.

"Well, that settles it then." Aunt Châu yawns & heads towards her & Joy's room. "Welcome to the family."

Hope this chapter was ok. What do you guys think? Anyways... I guess I'll see you guys later, haha... Bye :]