Chapter 26- Linh

5 figures step forward, transforming from wolf into human, & I watch a bit nervously at first, before smiling slightly.

1 of them, a short man with greying black hair & blue eyes, steps forward & asks Ash gruffly, "So... You're back..." His voice softened. "After all this time... What happened? What... changed?"

Ash ducks his head, then raises it back up again. "I- came to apologize. For- yelling at you. I probably shouldn't have done that... Though I still am my own person & at least expect you to respect me." He crosses his arms.

His dad nods his head, looking at the ground, then back up. "I expect as much. I- shouldn't have yelled either, &- I'll try to be... more understanding of... your situation. But- it's gonna take time."

Ash nods, smiling slightly. "Ok. As long as you know that I'll be happy, no matter what you want for me."

His dad nods. "I- just want you to be happy. So... if that means being with this guy..." He gestures to me & my face reddens suddenly, but Ash's dad continues. "Then- I guess that's ok..."

Ash smiles, but then blushes profusely. "Dad- um- that's nice, but- um- this guy, uh, Linh, is just a- uh- friend, Dad."

His dad chuckles, raising one eyebrow & looking at him. "So why are you wearing his clothes?"

If it were possible for Ash's face to get even redder, then it did in that moment. He ducked his head in embarrassment then raised it back up again. "Dad! That was one time!"

His dad raised his eyebrows. "Then what have you been doing all the rest of these months, not wearing any clothes or just wearing the same ones all this time?"

Ash ducked his head again, though becoming a bit more serious, besides embarrassed. "Well... About what happened while I was gone... that's a long story..." He said somberly & Ash's dad's smile disappeared.

"What- what happened?" Ash's dad stepped forward & placed his hand on Ash's shoulder. Ash leaned into him, his chin resting slightly on his dad's shoulder. Ash closed his eyes. Breathed. & then began to speak.

Ash began to tell his tale yet again, & I couldn't help feeling bad for him. This isn't the 1st time he's had to tell this story, & I'm sure it pains him to bring back the memories. He does seem to get happier toward the end though, when he talks about being with me. Though I suppose that's better than talking about getting shot, which is probably why his tone changes.

After he finishes, his whole family hugs him & then steps back. A woman with bright red hair & gold eyes, etched with laugh lines, looks warmly up at me. "Is it true?" She asks astoundedly, & I look on, a bit confused, before she explains. "Is it true that you helped heal my Ash in his darkest moment, when he had no one else to turn to?" Her eyes brim with tears.

"Um- well- I was there when it happened, yes. If you're talking about the bullet wounds... I didn't exactly heal him myself, my Aunt Châu did that, but I did find him & bring him to her- oomph-" She tackles me in a hug, her head barely meeting the middle of my chest, arms wrapped around my back. "-Oh- thanks, for that..."

She withdraws. "Sorry, I just get so emotional when it comes to my kids, ya know?" She wipes away her tears & I nod.

"That's understandable, Mrs-?"

She looks up at me before extending her hand. "-Blakeslee."

"Mrs Blakeslee." I shake it, & she shakes her head vigorously.

"Oh, no, you can just call me Rowan, dear. No need to be so formal. We're practically family after all you two have been through."

I hesitated. "O-ok. &- might I know who the rest of you are, perhaps? That'd be cool..." I dig my hands in my pockets nervously, but they cooperate.

The gruff old man from earlier extends his hand & I shake it. "Lake Blakeslee," He says, sounding generally respectful in tone, surprisingly.

"Linh." I smile, & each of Ash's siblings comes to greet me too.

Huckleberry, the jokester with the fiery red hair & gold eyes of his mother. Juny, Juniper, the loyal, with her long black hair & blue eyes. & Sky, the shy, with her red hair & blue eyes.

They were all very warm, which I expected, though I wasn't expecting Ash's dad to be so respectful.

"So..." Huckleberry asked, voice trailing off as he hesitated. "Now that you've made up with Dad... Are you going to stay?"

Ash's eyes widened & his mouth opened, & then closed again, as if he was unsure about his answer.

"You'll still visit, right?" Huck's eyes lit hopefully, hands clasping together.

"Sure. I'd love to." Ash says. "But I think also- maybe- I could hang out with my new friends? If that's ok?"

It took a second, but everyone nodded in turn. "Sure!" Huck smiled. "Just as long as you come & visit us & not spend too much time with your new 'friends'!" He chuckled & Ash's face reddened.

"Yeah, yeah..." He mumbled, looking away for a bit, hand playing with the loose hairs at his neck.

"Leave him alone." Ash's mom, Rowan, chided gently. "At least he's getting out & exploring more! Making friends outside of his pack! & the 1st 1 too!" Ash blushed a little, but smiled. "That's the one good thing that came out of that whole situation... Speaking of which, we should keep tabs on that 'Adair' fellow... Don't want him messing with you or the Phams again..."

"Yeah." Ash nodded. "I got Elm already on that."

"Ok..." His mom nodded hesitantly. "But if you need any help with that..." She bared her teeth. "Just give us a call, or howl."

I laughed a little, so happy to see such a protective family, & Ash looked at me for a second, seeming a bit surprised (?), before turning back toward his family. "Well... We better go..." He stated reluctantly. "Don't want Auntie Joy worrying about us..."

"Ok..." Ash's dad, Lake, replied. "Just- you have our numbers if you need anything..."

"Ok." Ash nodded & smiled, waving goodbye as we went, back to the car. & our home.

Hope you guys liked this chapter :3. That's all for rn, but I'll be back of course, lol. See ya later :D