Chapter 35- Carel

The kid followed me out of the bathroom, as I instructed, laughing & pretending that we were old friends catching up. No 1 suspected a thing.

I led him to my car, a long white van, & he reluctantly got into the back seat with my partner. I looked around the parking lot hesitantly, but there didn't appear to be anyone following us. Not that there would be, but it doesn't hurt to be safe, I suppose.

"Buckle up," I ordered & he reluctantly obeyed, eyebrows raised in my direction questioningly.

"What? The boss doesn't want you to be injured." I avoided eye contact, reaching my hand into the glove compartment for the potato sack. "Put this on your head, don't want you to see where we're going, now do you?"

He nodded, doing as he was told, as my partner, Ish, looks on nervously. I glare in his direction, not saying a word, & he quickly looks away. He knows what I'm thinking, though I don't dare say a word, lest we seem vulnerable to the... hostage. But Ish already knows what I was going to say. That he should stop being a wimp & man up. It was his decision to remain in the gang as long as he did. He coulda bailed. Though I do kinda understand why he stayed... He didn't really have any other friends... Not that I did either, but still... If he was here, he should do his job.

Not long after, we arrived at Ev's place.

"Follow me," I ordered the hostage, roughly grabbing his forearm & pulling him forward. He followed slowly, Ish trailing behind hesitantly. We led him to the basement, which was windowless & had a heavy door that locked from the inside.

We tied the hostage's wrists up with rope, tight enough that he couldn't get out, but loose enough that he wouldn't lose circulation. Then we tied the end of the rope to a pole supporting the roof in the center of the room, so he could walk around a little, but couldn't leave the room or head close to the door.

I turned to Ish. "I'll guard the door, you tell Ev we're here."

Ish nodded. "Ok... Will do." He left, & I shut the door behind him, locking the door behind me & approaching the prisoner, removing the potato sack hesitantly.

His eyes were wide & scared, but I saw a strength like steel deep within his eyes. I stepped back, coming to stand in front of the door, arms crossed over my chest.

"What- are you going to do to me?" He asked, voice shaking, but strong.

I looked on, raising an eyebrow skeptically. "You are in no position to be asking me questions. But I'll allow it. To put it simply- it's business. Just your standard hostage situation. Nothing more."

His eyebrows furrowed. "So- I'm the hostage...?"

I rolled my eyes. "No shit."

He flinched, looking down at the concrete floor. "For... who?"

I raised an eyebrow. "For your... lover or whatever, obviously."

He chuckled nervously. "What?!"

I waved my hand dismissively. "Or whatever you call yourselves. The wolf."

He paled suddenly, eyes widening. "Ash?"

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, whatever his name is. My boss wants him dead, & well... we kinda gotta do what he says, so... You're the bait..."

His eyebrows knit together again. "'We'?"

I nodded. "Yeah. Me & the rest of the gang. But that's all you need to know. Give me your phone." I gestured to him & he pretended to be confused.

"I... don't have it..." He looked down.

I rolled my eyes, stepping closer to him. "Come on. Everyone's always got their phones on them." I stepped forward & pulled it out of his pants pocket before making eye contact. "Stay here." I barked. "Not that you have much choice... But- I'll be back..." I waved my hand dismissively in his direction, before heading to the door, & into the hallway beyond.

Sorry, guys. I know this chapter isn't the happiest, but ya know, it's plot relevant, so... Sorry :/