𝟏𝟒. 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬

❝Sadness is but a wall between two gardens❞

FORKS, WASHINGTON - CULLEN HOUSE

Anna was exhausted, she had mostly hoped that she could quietly make her way to her room without being noticed, so that she could just go to sleep, but in a house full of vampires that is obviously wishful thinking, so she wasn't surprised to find Caius in the doorway to her room when she came up the stairs.

"Can we talk?" he asked her, Anna was really too tired to, but she didn't wish to hurt him any more than she had, so she simply kept quiet and nodded. The girl and the vampire entered the formers room with a silence hanging between them, Anna sat on the bed looking up at Caius who stood some what awkwardly in the middle of the room, seemingly anxious about what he was about to say - which made Anna anxious too.

"You can sit" she said with her soft voice and gesturing to the chair besides the vanity table, "thank you" he replied in a voice almost equally as soft as Annas, he sat down and looked over at the girl quietly observing her, seeing her trying to hold back a yawn, whilst silence engulfed the two once more.

"I'm sorry" they chorused making them both chuckle slightly "ehm. You first" Anna said gesturing to Caius, not wishing to be rude, even if she had a feeling he wouldn't physically hurt her, she was still cautious. "I wanted to apologize" he started, looking deeply into the girls deep brown eyes "I know. the incident. was my fall and I'm-" "it wasn't your fault" Anna cut him off, making his expression turn into one of surprise "sorry." she quickly said, looking down at her hands in her lap while blushing "it's just. I don't believe it's your fault." she explained, he looked at her with a confused expression causing her to elaborate "what I mean is that. I am sick Caius. god it feels weird to admit that. I'm not sick like in the way that you would think someone is sick, it's more like my mind is sick? anyways it doesn't matter, feeling rejected is only a small part of a much larger issue, and you're not the sole reason I feel rejected, so it's really not your fault. I mean I don't blame you and I don't think you should blame yourself is all I'm saying" she rambled, before looking up from her lap and into his strikingly red eyes with a shy expression, "sorry" she chuckled

Caius was taken aback, how could this girl have such a big heart, and sit there and tell him he wasn't to blame with no hint of a lie in her voice, when he was such a cold and calculated monster who almost killed her, how could someone like that be a soulmate to someone like him.

"I am to blame Anna" he said with a frown, "I should have been kinder, warmer. Better." He continued in a serious voice. "but you didn't know-" she argued, not wishing for him to be sad, she would hate for him to take the blame for something she felt was on her, it looked like they both needed to learn that there was no one to blame in a situation like this.

"I shouldn't have to know, I should just be good to you. You are after all my mate" he countered, rendering Anna confused, no one had explained to her what this 'mate' thing meant, and she had not had the energy to think about it and there by figure it out, so she was still kind of in the dark "what exactly is a mate?" she asked him looking thoughtful, "I had expected for the Cullens to explain it to you?" he stated sort of like a question to which Anna shook her head "Well I guess a mate is equivalent to what you humans call a 'soulmate'" 

This new information broke Annas heart, she had suspected that that was what it meant but having it confirmed that not even her soulmate wanted her hurt in a new way, "then why didn't you want me?" she asked with tears in her eyes, her voice cracking in the end, "I did want you Anna" he said, voice full of desperation "I was scared" he admitted, "Scared of me?" she wondered out loud, "scared of what could happen to you" he corrected.

Anna thought for a moment, it made sense but in the end was it enough for her to forgive his sudden change of heart "it still doesn't change you only showed your care after I died" she sobbed, Caius felt venom pool in his eyes, even blamed himself for her death he didn't truly understand till' now that she sat completely transparent infant of him with tears streaming down her face, but he also understood that this was bigger than him, and that his mate needed help he couldn't give her, and that last fact alone broke his heart 

"If you wouldn't mind I'd like to sleep now" Anna said breaking him out of his thoughts "of course" he muttered, and then he left leaving them both with a new understanding, though still quite broken.

ᴀᴜᴛʜᴏʀ's ɴᴏᴛᴇ: ɪ ғᴏʀɢᴏᴛ ʜᴏᴡ ᴍᴜᴄʜ ɪ ᴛʀᴜʟʏ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ᴛʜɪs ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ. ᴅᴀᴍɴ.