𝟏𝟐. 𝐍𝐨 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐥𝐚𝐦𝐞

❝You'll end up very disappointed if you grow up thinking everyone has the same heart that you do❞

FORKS, WASHINGTON - CULLEN HOUSE, ANNAS ROOM

Anne Frank once wrote in her diary: Regret is stronger than gratitude; and Anna was beginning to understand just how true that was.

When Caius saw Anna he was flooded with relief.

 When Anna saw Caius rage consumed her.

How dare he show up here looking at her like she was the only person who mattered when he a mere five days ago wanted nothing to do with her, why did she only matter when she died?

"Anna-" He started but she wasted no time cutting him off, no doubt testing his patience "No." she said with a new found air of authority that probably came with the annoyance her voice held, "you don't get to do that." She continued. This confused Caius, what exactly was it he was doing? he knew she had every reason to be mad - he was to blame for what had happened - at least he thought so, but he didn't understand what he was doing in this moment. 

"What am I-" "Stop." She was finally out of patience, after years and years of letting people not just step on her but walk all over her like she was just an ant to be crushed by their boot, she had finally had enough, and she was ready to show that "You don't get to show up here, looking at me like that, pretending that all of this isn't just because I fucking killed myself!" she exclaimed, rendering Caius speechless. He didn't want it to be true but it was, would he really be here if she hadn't attempted suicide? would he be thinking about going to her or would he be going about his day like he used to?

Anna abandoned the room leaving Caius standing completely broken. She ran to her assigned room and slammed the door before she fell to the floor crying, she regretted her outburst of rage. Because Anna knew she couldn't blame Caius, he was a proud man and she understood that he was probably just as much at war with his emotions as she were, and that he wasn't to blame for Annas way of thinking or for her drastic actions, and that unlike so many others he had never hurt her intentionally or without reason, so it wasn't his fault. No one was to blame, not even Anna herself.

FORKS, WASHINGTON - THE CULLENS KITCHEN

Caius was as stated a proud man, so he held his head high and carried an unbothered expression as he entered the kitchen where everyone was gathered, their undead hearts breaking at the sound of the crying girl, Jasper was sitting down holding on to Alice tightly, feeling completely overwhelmed by all the emotions in the house and their intensity, especially within Anna and the infamous 'angry king' Caius, though funnily enough no amount of anger came off the king, only a hopelessness and deep sense of sadness and self-blame.

"What" Caius snapped at the Cullens who were all just staring at him "Annas very vulnerable, she didn't mean -" Carlisle started "of course she did" Rosalie cut him off, unlike Anna she did blame Caius and the fact that Carlisle had invited him into their home had left her seething, "if you ask me she was kind about it too" she continued, and to everyones surprise Caius didn't immediately rip her head from her body, no he simply ignored the blonde goddess and left the room probably to return to his own.

FORKS, WASHINGTON - CULLEN HOUSE, CAIUS' ROOM

When Caius reached his room, he wasted no time starting to pack his things, he was unsure that this was where he should be right now, honestly he didn't know what to do, he didn't understand what was happening inside his soulmates head, although he desperately wished that he could just hold her, and hug all the negative emotions out of her, or put them in a bag and carry them for her, but that was too late now, he had made his choice when he first met her in Italy and there obviously wasn't much he could do about that now, so packing up his things and returning to Italy seemed like his only option.

He was broken out of his thoughts by a delicate knock on his door, "enter" he said, his voice full of its usual authority, the door opened slowly to reveal Anna with tear stained cheeks and hands fiddling with the strings of her hoodie "I'm sorry" they chorused, there was a beat of silence before Anna spoke up: "I'm sorry for yelling" she whispered, not looking up at him, feeling far too shy. "I'm sorry for putting you in a situation where you felt you needed to yell" he then answered.

Anna looked around the room and noticed the clothes scattered across the bed, she realized he was packing, a pang of sadness went through her heart at the thought that he was leaving already, wasn't she worth fighting for? even a little bit? "Where are you going?" she asked in a quiet voice, sounding like a child at prayer "Home" he answered, "I figured you weren't o fond of my presence here, and since I've let myself be informed that this house will be yours too for a while I've decided to give you... what is the modern word?... space! that's it" he then stated, "and what if... what if that's not what I want?" she asked bravely, Caius head snapped to look at the girl "what did you say?" he asked. "I'm just saying.... I don't know what I'm saying, I just thought maybe you'd like to stick around for a bit?" she said her shyness coming back as she stumbled over her words. "I would, if that's okay with you" Caius said half a smile gracing his lips, "then stay" she said trying, and failing, to sound nonchalant.

And so he stayed to fight for his one chance at happiness, and Anna was left at a crossroad of whether or not to let her heart be shattered one more time.