Chapter Thirty Two

I hadn't been to the apartment in almost a month. I didn't want to go back there without David but I was running out of his clothes and his scent was fading on the ones I had. And besides even the few times I wanted to go back there my mom had refused. I stood at the door staring at the door knob willing myself to open it. George was standing silently behind me and I mentally thanked him for giving me the space I needed to handle everything my own way.

I wiped a stray tear as I remembered each time David had walked through the door with a smile just for me. I recalled all the times he had carried me through the door or when we had walked in together hand in hand.

I had lived there for years but the apartment had never felt more like home compared to the past few months of living there with David. Being with George was fun but David had me looking forward to going home at the end of each working day. He made the nights beautiful and the mornings magical. Why couldn't I just open the door and find him in the kitchen drinking coffee? He would grin when he saw me and open his arms for me. I would smile back and walk into his arms with happiness in my heart.

Foolish thoughts of hope aside I turned the knob and pushed the door open. The lights automatically came on illuminating the dark and lonely apartment. I let the disappointment sink in and my little ray of hope die when I walked in. I had hoped but it was stupid of me and now that reality had set in I was back to being depressed and sad.

I looked around the living room and kitchen seeing that everything was in place except for a plain brown box sitting on the kitchen counter. That hadn't been there when we left.

I looked at George and he was looking at me with the same questioning look.

Curious as to what was inside I walked towards where it lay and settled myself on one of the kitchen stools. George stood on the opposite side waiting for me to open it.

I opened it carefully since it wasn't taped shut. The contents inside had me wide eyed and short of breath for a few seconds. Inside, on top of everything else lay David's tank top that he wore the last time I saw him. It was dusty, dirty, torn and covered in blood. I reached for it with trembling hands and brought it to my face. It smelled of blood and had a faint scent of David on it.

"Is it his?" George asked me and I looked at him with teary eyes as I nodded.

I hugged it to me hoping that it wasn't a sign that Derek had been telling the truth about David being dead. I put the vest on my lap and looked at the other contents of the box. There was a smaller box in there and a flash drive on top of it. I put the flash drive aside and took out the second box.

There was a card attracted to it and I plucked it out. I unfolded it to see what was written on it and the minute I did, I immediately wish I hadn't.

I let out a loud cry of pain dropping from the stool to the floor curling into a ball as sobs left my body. My heart broke into a million pieces as I heard George read aloud the words that would as well have been the end of me.

"Here lie the ashes of David Ruria. Courtesy Fadhili Crematorium."

In the midst of my sobbing I heard George shuffling around probably opening the second box.

"Jesus!"He exclaimed.

The tone of his voice affirmed the contents of the box. My David was lying in there or more like his ashes were. He had been reduced to mere ashes.

I heard footsteps approach me before George slowly sat next to me on the floor and pulled my head to his lap. I didn't have the energy to lash out or do anything else other than cry my heart out.