Chapter Thirty Four

My mom had been right as always being the wise lady that she was. Once I was left alone I broke down all over again and started retreating back to my grief shell as I had nicknamed it. When George had noticed that I had stopped eating again and was losing myself to my sadness he had called my mom. She had called Nina and they had discussed everything and I had been out of the country on the first flight out to South Africa. I hadn't made it easy on them to leave but Sarah had been the one to convince me to go. She had said that David would have wanted for me to heal. She knew David better so I took her advice and agreed to leave. She was moving out too with her family after I had upgraded them to a bigger apartment and a better neighborhood. She had argued at first but she had watched the video too so she knew I was just doing what David had asked and taking care of them.

That's why I was seated in a window seat in first class on a flight to Cape Town, South Africa. I was hugging my legs to my chest hidden under one of David's hoodies. There was a movie playing on the screen in front of me but I couldn't tell you what was playing on it. It was all blurry pictures and muffled sound to me. The food and juice we had been served sat untouched too because I had no appetite.

The hostess kept giving me sad glances but I just ignored all of them blocking them out. I didn't need their pity because none of them knew what I was going through. I wish George had come with me so he could put them all in their place but he had to stay back, I couldn't keep him away from his family since I didn't know how long I'd stay.

I played with the necklace I was wearing. It was shaped in the form of a boot, David had given it to me when I told him that his boots were the only thing I couldn't wear. It was an inside joke between us.

"Now you can wear my boots whenever you want."He'd joked putting it on me and kissing my forehead.

It had been hollow so I'd put a small amount of his ashes inside so I'd always have a piece of him with me, whenever I went.

"That's the first time I've seen any form of facial expression on your face this whole flight."A male voice spoke next to me.

The seat next to me had been empty so he had probably moved to sit next to me. I wasn't in the mood to talk so I just turned to the window completely ignoring him.

"You don't want to talk to me fine. I'll just sit here with you." He added and I didn't bother replying.

He sounded young but I didn't want to bother turning around to see who it was. He continued talking to himself and trying to engage me in different topics of conversation but he was met with nothing but silence. I heard him open a bag of chips and that's when the annoying chewing started. He thought that would annoy me but I just grabbed my airpods from my pockets and turned them on.

"Tough crowd."I heard him mutter before I was surrounded by a beautiful sorrowful voice of an artist I didn't recognize. Her beautiful voice lured me to sleep and I was grateful for the escape out of my daunting thoughts.

I woke up a few hours later when I heard the announcement for us to put on our seat belts came on since we were about to land. I heard it because my music had stopped some time during my sleep. There was nobody next to me so I guessed the guy who had been sitting there had left.

We landed safely before the pilot thanked us for taking the flight and welcoming us again. I undid my seatbelt and got up to grab my small bag from the overhead compartment. Someone reached out and grabbed it for me before I could reach it, not that I needed the help even with my height.

"I'm sorry you just looked like you'd struggle with it."The same voice from earlier apologized and I turned to look at him with a glare.

"Why are you all up in my business? Do I know you?" I asked him giving him a once over.