Chapter 1: Beginnings

In the forest on the outskirts of Hage village in the forsaken realm of the Clover Kingdom a woman named Licita is out for a walk with her five year old son named Asta. Both Licita and Asta are unlike most people who reside within the Clover Kingdom. Licita's magic that allows her to store manaless objects within other manaless objects has a negative side effect, Licita passively absorbs mana and life force for any living things around her. Asta however is safe from her mana absorption thanks to his rare disability, he was born without any mana, not even a single drop. Due to Licita being unable to stop her mana absorption she and Asta live in a house in the forest outside of Hage village far away from people. To most people living out in the forest alone would be depressing, however both Licita and Asta are able to forget about the fact that they are alone thanks to the existence of the other in their life.

Walking through the forest admiring nature is one of the ways Licita and Asta like to pass the time when they aren't collecting food or doing chores. Asta looks up to his mom "Hey mom, do you know what it's like in the capitol?", Licita looks down at Asta with a warm smile "well I've never been there myself but, I heard that's full of people with strong magic and that the castle where the King and the Wizard King live in is even bigger than the demon skull at the edge of Hage". Asta looks at his mom with stars in his eyes "Really! Can we go someday!?" hearing this causes to kneel down facing her son. "I'm sorry Asta but only nobility and royalty live in the capital. The only exception are the magic knights" Licita says to her son with a comforting smile.Hearing this causes Asta to run ahead while shouting "In that case I'll become a magic knight!! In fact, I'm gonna go all the way and become the wizard king!". Licita looks at Asta running out of view while smiling 'even though you were born without magic you've never let it get to you, I'm so proud Asta'. 

Licita's train of thought is broken when she hears Asta yell "Mom come here quick!", worried she runs down the path to find Asta on his knees beside what appears to be a young devil who is passed out on the ground. "I found him on the ground like this,he looks hurt we have to do something!" Asta said to his mom with a worried look on his face, 'this kid is definitely a devil but I sense no magic power from him, is he like Asta?' Licita thought to herself while looking at the little devil on the ground. Licita then smiles as she looks at her son "You're right let's take him home" Licita said while putting the devil in a bottle for easy transport.

After returning to their little home Licita took the devil out of the bottle and placed him in a bed. 'He looks tired and hurt, even though he's a devil who would do this to a child'  Licita thought to herself while looking at the devil sleeping in the bed. After about an hour of waiting the devil begins to wake up. The devil groans as he begins to sit up, Licita walks up to the devil smiling "Hey, you're awake! My name is Licita". "Where am i?" the devil says confused, "You are in my house, me and my son found you while on a walk" Licita replies. "You're... not afraid of me?" the devil asks confused, hearing this causes Licita to chuckle "why would I be scared, you're just an injured little kid,besides you don't have any magic. In fact you're a lot like my son Asta, he also doesn't have any magic". Almost like it was planned Asta walks into the house to see the devil awake, with stars in his eyes he runs to the edge of the bed shouting "hey you're awake!". "Just in time this is my son Asta. Asta this.....uh what's your name?" Licita asks while pointing at the devil. "I don't have one" the devil says matter of factly, hearing this causes both Licita and Asta to shout "Ehh! You don't have a name!?". "Everyone needs a name, hm....how about Liebe?" Licita says, "ok" replies the devil now named Liebe. "It's crazy just yesterday me and Asta found this five leaf grimoire and now we meet a devil, I guess the story about the five leaf grimoire is true" says Licita pulling out the five leaf grimoire.Licita looks at Liebe and gets a wide smile "besides Asta you're the only other person I've ever meet who hasn't been affected by my magic. Doesn't this feel like fate, why don't you stay here and be my kid". Hearing this causes Liebe to gain a shocked face "you're child, but I'm a devil", "so" replies Asta causing Liebe to look at him " just because you're a devil doesn't mean you're a bad guy" continues Asta smiling. Hearing this causes Liebe to do something he's never done in his life,smile, "Ok" says Liebe keeping his smile.