4

c h a p t e r   f o u r

Teaching is a profession which requires an extensive amount of knowledge, patience and fearlessness. The first two were contained in Antonia in an acceptable amount, but she found herself devoid of the third trait as she stood at the podium, in front of the mic, blinking rapidly at the several eager eyes which were riveted on her like a laser beam. She was alone, as Rhys had left after giving the students a brief introduction to her. 

"Good...morning...cl-students.." she managed, sounding more like a sick cat than a history professor. 

Almost immediately, the students replied in unison. "Good morning Professor." Antonia smiled as amiably as she could, hoping the students would find her attractive. 

As she looked at the faces, her heart swelled up inside her chest. She was finally teaching at the Queen's! Maybe she was on trial, maybe she would not be chosen, but she would keep this memory in the brightest corners of her mind. Her eyes wandered among the flawlessly dressed students, gauging their reactions on seeing a new Professor at their Academy. Their expressions were inscrutable, but Antonia could see a vague curiosity and excitement in their eyes and she decided to use that to her advantage. 

"My name is Antonia Rodriguez, as Professor Clyde..." she felt her cheeks warm up, "has already mentioned, and I will be teaching History." 

Achieving a few nods from the class, she went on, "I'm new to this Academy and am yet to get the syllabus of your class, so.." she clasped her hands in front of her belly and walked down the stairs  towards the seated pupils, careful not to trip over in her high heels, "why don't we start with introducing ourselves?" 

The students gave each other a sideways looks. Clearly, no Professor had ever been so friendly with them. Eventually, the surprise in their faces gave place to enthusiasm, and they smiled at her. 

"Let's start with..." she walked up to the first bench and gave a warm smile to the blonde boy sitting there, "you. What is your name?" 

"Noah West." he answered, fixing the spectacles which kept sliding down his nose. Antonia grinned, making Noah blush and he looked down at the book on his desk. She then turned towards the girl sitting beside Noah.

"And yours?" 

"Ashley Beckham." the black-haired girl replied, grinning childishly at her new History Professor. She was cute, and Antonia could not help but poke her cheek lightly. This made her blush furiously, nevertheless, she kept grinning at Antonia. 

The class was of one hour, and by the end, Antonia could proudly say she remembered forty-five names out of the fifty-eight students present. As the bell rang, announcing the end, Antonia walked back to the podium, took her bag and made her way towards the door, but not before saying,

"See you all the next day. Thank you, class." 

"Thank you Professor!" the students answered, evidently more comfortable with Antonia than before. Satisfied with this fact, Antonia slid open the door and stepped outside, only to be startled by a familiar voice.

:::

"Antonia." It was Rhys. He was standing outside the classroom, leaning sideways against the wall, with his hands in his pockets. Antonia jumped slightly, almost cursing out but stopping herself. 

"Jesus, you scared me..." she smirked as she closed the door behind her, "Sir.

"Don't think I'm not catching that tone, Antonia. Get rid of it before-" Rhys stopped, and Antonia did not miss the opportunity. 

"Before what, Sir?" She bravely took a step forward, looking up at him with an innocent look. 

"Before I do something about it." He answered, making Antonia's breath hitch in her throat, and then, straightening himself, asked, "How did the class go?" 

"I'd say it went pretty well, and the students seem to like me." Antonia was all smiles, and it was contagious, as Rhys found his lips twitch too. 

"Do you like the students?" He asked. 

"I absolutely adore them!" She giggled and looked at Rhys, her eyes twinkling. Rhys felt his stomach churn, gazing at the beautiful young woman who had somehow managed to occupy his mind for the past one hour.

"I'm here to show you the staffroom. It's down this corridor. You'll occupy it during your trial, and you will shift to a new one if you become permanent." 

Antonia listened, and nodded. Yes, she was still on trial, and she would try her best to get herself a permanent position in the Academy. 

"Follow me." She jolted when she heard Rhys's voice, who had magically transported to a few steps away from her. "It's this way." he said, then turned around and paced down the corridor. After a few more seconds to herself, Antonia started running after him, struggling to keep up with his long strides. 

The staff room was not very far away from the classroom and was located at an optimum distance from the Chancellor's office. Antonia came to a halt behind Rhys, who fished out a key from his pant pocket and inserted it in the keyhole of the wooden door. After a second, the door creaked open and Rhys held it wide open for her. 

"Get in." He ordered, and Antonia complied, twisting her mouth mentally at his demanding tone. She walked past him, accidentally brushing her elbow against his chest. A low growl erupted from within his chest, letting loose all the butterflies in Antonia's stomach. It had been long since she had heard a beastly growl like that come from a man...

She stopped and looked up at his face. It was just an elbow, she smirked, conveying her words through her eyes, no need to get so worked up. Even as she looked smugly at him, she could not shake off the tingly sensation in her body, and she was shocked at how just a simple touch made her feel like that. She was crazy. 

Rhys looked down at her face with a sharp look, his eyes dark and jaw tightened. Before Antonia could open her mouth to speak, he interrupted her.

"I hope you like your new staff room, Antonia. If you have any query, visit me. My office is quite near to this particular staff room," his lips curved negligibly, but there was something oddly suggestive about the look which he gave her. 

"Also, there is a sheet on the desk for you. Fill it up and send it to me as soon as possible." he added and spun on his heels to walk away, but Antonia had a question. 

"What sheet? Sir?" 

Rhys stopped but did not turn around. He could not let Antonia see the wide smirk on his face, so he replied, with his back on her, 

"You'll see." 

-------