7

c h a p t e r    s e v e n 

The next few days at college went unnaturally fast for Antonia. After she got the syllabus and her routine, she saw that she had to take three classes for the third year students every day and her working hours were 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. while she was on-trial. Contented with everything, she began her teaching with new-found enthusiasm and determination. 

It was lunch break by the time Antonia could take a full breath and settle down. Her schedule had not allowed her a minute's rest since morning, and she let out a deep sigh as she sat in a secluded place in the cafeteria. 

"Won't you eat anything?" came a voice from behind her, and to her delight she saw it was Emma. 

"Yes, I will, care to join?" Antonia asked, and was answered by one of Emma's clipped smiles. Taking a seat opposite Antonia, Emma said, 

"You have an awfully tight schedule." 

"I know. Maybe it's because I'm on trial." Antonia remarked, but Emma shook her head. 

"I assure you it's not. In fact, it's quite the opposite custom we follow here. When I was on trial, I only had one class per day, and I used to be dismissed by 1 p.m." Emma leaned on the desk on her elbows and raised one of her eyebrows. 

"Is that so? Well, who fixes the schedule anyway?" Antonia asked although she knew the answer all too well.

"The Chancellor, of course." Emma gave a firm shrug, and then got up, "I'll get some fish and chips, shall I get it for you as well?" 

"Yes, sure." and with that Emma walked away to bring their food. Antonia sat in silence, pondering upon why Rhys had given her such a long schedule. A train of questions erupted in her mind. 

Was he trying to bully her into leaving the college? Or was it about the incident which happened a few days back...

Antonia shuddered. She had hardly seen him since then, she realized suddenly. He was avoiding her, no doubt, after all, no one wanted to be near a sex-starved newbie professor with absolutely no etiquettes whatsoever. Especially not someone as reputed and famous as Professor Rhys Clyde. 

However, would he go to such lengths as to try and torment her with such a tiring schedule? If that was the case, she would show him that one unfortunate accident was not enough to persecute a woman as brave and determined as her. 

"There you go!" Emma chirped and put the plates on the table, but noticing the distant look in the History professor's eyes, called again.

"Earth to Antonia, do you hear me?" she gave her shoulder a soft push, making her look up with a confused look. 

"I've brought the food. Let's eat." Emma nodded towards the plates on the table and Antonia obliged after murmuring a 'thanks'. 

"Do you have a nickname, Antonia?" Emma took out a handkerchief from her bag and put it beside her on the table. Antonia felt like a barbarian in front of the well-mannered and organized woman sitting across her. 

"My mother calls me Anya...I guess that passes for a nickname." She smiled, remembering her mother far away in Spain, taking care of their small family. 

"Yes, but I was thinking of calling you Toni." Emma took a bite out of her food, "Antonia is a tedious name to pronounce all the time." 

"Don't even start!" Antonia laughed, "You can call me Toni, now that leaves me to think of an equally cute nickname for you." They both shared a laugh.