Chapter Three

Dorian's POV

I walked up to my mum, standing on the platform. Her eyes were a bit puffy. I didn't know why she cried so much. Maybe mums are just like that.

"Where do I go?"

She explained to me how to go into the train and find a compartment, but her mind was somewhere else.

"Okay thanks." I went inside, dragging my luggage.

"Need a hand?" A dirty blonde girl stepped towards me and held out a hand.

"Oh I- I'm alright."

"Oh a big boy, huh? Let me help."

I sighed and handed her a bag.

"You can come sit with my friend and I. His name is Tiberius, like the Roman emperor. I'm Cindy, after my aunt. And you?"

"Dorian."

"Like Dorian Gray?"

I shrugged.

"Oh come on. You've never asked your parents about your name?"

"My dad doesn't know much and my mum doesn't say much."

"If you're gonna be friends with us, you'll have to get used to your ears never getting a break." A brunette boy stepped out of the compartment we were walking to.

"This is Tiberius," Cindy clarified, "we met at a summer course and still hang out despite driving each other nuts. See, I went in order to learn and expand my horizons. He went to make his parents happy."

"Hey, you try having Pansy for a mum. I'm supposed to be the best Slytherin at Hogwarts."

"Slytherin?" I asked.

"Oh goodness. You don't know about the houses. Muggle-born, huh?"

"What?"

"A person with no magic," the girl explained.

"Oh. No, my mum's a witch. She went to Hogwarts. She just doesn't like to talk about it."

"My mum doesn't either. Her sister died here during the last wizarding war," Cindy sighed. "I just have to read books to make up for it."

"Haha I don't read."

"Thank goodness! Ugh a kid of taste!" Tiberius exclaimed. "C'mon let's go inside. I think we'll be good friends. So you don't know what house your mum was in?"

"Uhhh no."

Cindy sat down and turned to face me. "Does she own a lot of one color? My mum's a Hufflepuff and she has so many yellow outfits stuffed in the back of her closet."

"I've never really seen my mum's closet. She just wears her gowns every day."

"Gowns?" Tiberius scoffed. "What is she? A princess?"

"Uhhh... She is actually."

They both scrunched their puzzled faces.

"Princess Anastasia Manchester of the United Kingdom and... well there's a whole list of titles. I won't say them all. I just call her mum."

"So you're a prince? Woah!"

I nodded and sat up in my seat. Maybe it'd be fun going to a new school if they all reacted this way.

"Well, my mum was a Hufflepuff. My dad was a Gryffindor."

"My parents were both Slytherins." Tiberius shifted in his seat, resting his arm up on the back.

"Yeah they were Slytherins during its corrupt age, so they're basically like awful people."

"Well, yeah. I'll probably be a Slytherin too, but it's different now."

"Should I be worried? How do I know what house I'm in?" I looked between the two of them.

"Oh don't worry!" The girl put her hand on my shoulder. "There aren't any bad houses. Not anymore. The Sorting Hat chooses what house you're in based on values. Slytherin is resourcefulness and leadership. Hufflepuff is loyalty and trustworthiness. Ravenclaw is wisdom and learning. Gryffindor is courage and bravery. They're all good. Just in their own way. I don't know which one I want, but I think it's best not to want one. You'll get the house that's best for you."

"Oh please, Cindy," Tiberius interjected. "We all know which one you're gonna get."

Her fingers clutched the blue pendant of a necklace. "Okay you're right.... I know... I'll be okay with any of them though. I'm not gonna get my hopes up."

A little while later, I slid into Cindy as the train screeched to a halt. "Oh haha uh sorry."

"Oh it's fine," she tucked a piece of hair behind her ear and stood up to grab her things.

I stepped off of the train and walked up to where everyone else was standing to look.

"Wow..." Tiberius sighed.

"I know right? It's even better than in pictures," Cindy gazed up at the castle towering over us.

I wrinkled my nose. "An old musty-looking castle. I see that every day."

"Not with magic, I bet. Come on let's go in!"