Chapter Seventeen

Dorian's POV

"A secret diary?"

I knelt down to pick it up.

"And look." Scorpius lifted up a matching, dusty diary. "'Draco Malfoy's Secrets'. Same handwriting and everything."

I opened the front cover of my mum's and turned to the first entry.

'Finally, my first day at Hogwarts. I was sorted into Ravenclaw. I'm not really sure what that means, but I've already made a friend in my house. Her name is Lucy and she's gonna be my roommate. It's beautiful here. They have the entire sky indoors. And there's a boy. He has white-blonde hair and an angry face. Is it bad if I like angry faces? People told me about this boy named Draco Malfoy and I think it's him. They make him out to be the worst person ever. I think a bit of pestering from a princess might do him some good. It's funny because-'

I flipped to another page.

'As you know, Draco's not very eager to be my tutor, but he's agreed to it! A bit of jealousy goes a long way. Sebastian got handsy and Draco decked him. I knew he wasn't so bad. And now I'll have a cute boy to teach me potions.'

"A brewing romance?" Scorpius had been reading it over my shoulder.

"Romance? No way. They were just friends. Your dad said so." I shut the book and dropped it back down on the table, but Scorpius picked it up and started reading another entry out loud.

"'So before I get into my own fun stuff, Lucy and Ron have been hanging out. Alone! Ahhhh I really am a matchmaker.' Okay blah blah blah 'Now, to Draco.' Here we go. 'We had another study session today. He brought real ingredients for potion making and I was doing well until I burnt my hand. I was kind of embarrassed and I got a bit upset which made it even more embarrassing, but while I was babbling on about what an awful teacher he was, Draco kissed me. He really actually kissed me. Kisses are kinda nice. Not really what I expected. But it took all of my anger away. Or maybe that was just Draco. He can sponge up my fury. Perhaps we're destined to just pass it back and forth forever. The law of conservation of rage.' Just friends, huh?"

"Close that." Why the hell was Draco with my mom every day if they kissed as kids? That's history though, right? A million years ago.

"They were kinda cute together. Look at this entry, Dori-"

"Close it, Scorpius," I lunged forward to snatch the book from him.

He pulled it away before I could grab it, but shut it anyway. "Fine, I'll read my dad's then. 'Hey, so dear diary? I'm not really sure how this works and it seems stupid, but Anastasia is making me start journaling. She's trying to help me with my "anger issues" and she says that writing out my feelings is the best first step. Gosh, if I didn't love her so much... anyway, I don't know where I'm supposed to start. The root of it all maybe? My dad. I always thought that I had to love him, because he wanted the best for me, but now I realize his best is bullshit and it just makes me sad and miserable all the time so now- ugh I don't like this. She just makes the world seem so clear. I couldn't see who my dad was until she came along and like... turned on the lights. SHE wants the best for me and I saw how different it was. She just wants me to be happy, no matter what that means. Happiness will always mean her though, I just know it. That's enough feeling for today. I don't really know how to end this. Bye, I guess.' Wow. I wonder what happened. Why'd they break up?"

"I don't know and I don't care." I was fuming now. Why couldn't he just leave it alone? "They were kids. It wasn't real. It was just a high school relationship. We shouldn't be reading their diaries anyway."

"Since when did you become Mr. Moral Compass?"

"I'm not- I just- put it down. We're supposed to be organizing."

"Please, Dorian. You think Mcgonagall brought us in here and pointed out this table without knowing we'd find these?"

I ignored his point and he started reading another entry. "'Today, Princess Midnight and I are going to Diagon Alley.' Is he talking about Anastasia? 'She wants an owl. I told her that a scattered-brained Ravenclaw would starve any pet they got, but she insists. Girls. Oh and I forgot to write yesterday, but she and I went on a date. We laid out a blanket and had a picnic. She said muggles do it all the time and she and bumblebee like to have them sometimes. She gave me a blue ring with an M in it so that I would always have my Midnight with me-"

"SHUT UP, SCORPIUS! CLOSE THE DAMN DIARY! I DON'T WANNA HEAR IT!" My dad loved her. She loved him too, right? Why would she hang around her ex? My mom's not a cheater. My parents love each other. They're a prince and a princess. A fairytale. The Malfoys need to leave my family alone.

Scorpius sat down and began flipping through the pages silently, until he started chuckling.

"What's so funny?" I snapped.

"He lost the ring three days later."

I turned back and started stacking books.

"Y'know, you seem kinda like my dad when he was a kid. Driven by emotions that you hate to feel."

"Don't analyze me. Read that if you want to, but stop talking to me about it. We're not friends."

"You're right. We're supposed to be brothers."

"Not funny."

"Not laughing," he said as he let out a laugh. But his delight didn't last for very long. He had skipped through to the second half of the entries. "Holy shit. My dad killed the last Headmaster."

"Surprise surprise," I said. Of course Professor Malfoy was a murderer.

"Don't, Dorian. My father's a good guy. He cried to your mum about it. She was so nice to him. Oh my gosh. No way. I skipped something important somewhere. Dorian, yo-"

"Don't care."

"Dorian, seriously this is a big-"

"Don't care."

"Dorian, your mother was pregnant with my father's child."

I dropped the dust-covered candle that I had been holding and a plume of particles blew into my face. "No, you're lying."

"I'm serious. Look, right here he says: 'I know I made the right decision though. As long as I keep completing my tasks, Anastasia will be safe and so will our baby. I can't wait to meet it. That's what'll keep me going.' Do we both have a half-sibling out there? What happened to the baby?"

I didn't answer this time. I didn't have a snarky comment. The baby was an accident. It had to be. And they realized it and they got rid of it. They gave it up and they left Hogwarts and they never spoke to each other again until now. They weren't in love. They just messed up.

"Cindy told me that your mom's always kinda sad and quiet. This has to be why. Don't you want to know more about her?" He stood up and held her diary out to me.

I pushed his arm down. "No, I don't. Cindy should keep her mouth shut about my family."

"Hey, don't talk about her like that. Didn't you just fight me for her?"

I sighed and turned back to the table of objects.

"Come on, just say something. Have a conversation. I've done nothing but try to be nice to Tiberius and Cindy and you since you got here and everything I do makes you hate me more."

"That's a sign that you should stop trying. Stay away. I don't want to have anything to do with you and I sure as hell don't want anything to do with that journal. Just leave me alone."

I spun back around and we finished out the rest of our detention in silence.