Chapter Thirty Six

Draco's POV

It had been days that we'd been walking through the twists and turns. At least it felt like it. We had no real way of knowing.

"CASTION?!" Anastasia's voice was cracked and weak. There was no way it had been days in reality, otherwise we would have been desperate for food and water.

"Anastasia!" The response was a bit softer, but closer.

"We're near him. We have to be," Anastasia said hopefully, continuing on ahead.

I nodded, even though she couldn't see me, but I was tired and was giving up hope that his location wouldn't magically change again. But just then the wall in front of us dropped into the ground and there he was.

Anastasia sprinted ahead into his arms and my heart sunk a bit.

"We found you. Thank goodness, we found you. Alright," she let go of him. "Let's go get Astoria."

A thumping sound jarred all of us. And then there was a roar. Fire spewed from one side of the labyrinth.

"That's a fucking dragon," a shaking Castion muttered, looking between two stone walls to somewhere that I couldn't see. "THERE'S A FUCKING DRAGON!"

Soon enough, large claws stomped into view and indeed it was a dragon.

"Draco? What the hell do we do?" She looked to me, eyes full of fear, and I didn't know what to tell her.

"I-I don't-"

I was interrupted when it started sprinting straight ahead, towards the princess. A single foot stretched out and swatted her into one of the walls. This time it was not bouncy. She stood back up seemingly unharmed anyway though.

"Having fun now?" The voice returned. "I can give you one hint. The dragon's a little bit bloodthirsty. Its heart is set on the dear princess, but it would be content with any life, I suppose."

The red-scaled creature was closing in on her. She sank into the corner, searching the environment for what to do next.

"NO, ANASTASIA!" I sprinted forward to jump in front of her, but I slammed into something clear. A wall of glass had appeared between me and the other two. And the dragon. I began pounding on the glass and screaming, but it was useless.

Just as a dragon foot was sent soaring towards the girl, Castion shoved Anastasia to the floor. Its claw sank into his chest and he slumped to the ground. The dragon removed its claw and simply walked away, leaving the man to die.

"NOOOO!" My relief that she had survived was disrupted by her gut-wrenching screaming. "CASTION NO PLEASE!" He was slipping, barely conscious and she dropped to the ground next to him. "WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT? WHY DID YOU DO THAT? WHAT ABOUT DORIAN?"

"He has you," the man muttered weakly.

"What can I do? I left him alone. You're his father. I can't do this without you. Why would you do that?"

"I love him, okay? Tell him I love him. I love you too, Anastasia."

She shook her head. I could tell she wanted to say something, but she was crying so hard that the words were barely coming out. "I was going to sort things out. I was gonna redeem myself. I was gonna spend the rest of my life with you."

"Just be there..." His face dropped before he could finish his sentence. His eyes were staring off at nothing, as Anastasia clutched him to her chest.

For a moment, I got a glimpse of that day. The day that Lucy died. The day we lost the baby. The day I left her all alone.

She had every right to hate me. She watched everything fall apart and I just got to walk away. I hadn't recognized her when she looked at me in the infirmary, but I hadn't seen the moment she lost herself. Watching her now, clutching her husband's corpse, I saw the same little girl that watched her best friend killed in front of her. The girl that could now see thestrals. The girl who had been abandoned by all of the bravery, confidence and love of learning that had been almost palpable in her presence.

And then she ran off into another corridor, ignoring my shouts.