Chapter Nineteen

Cindy's POV

"Really?" He was being so nice. Was it just because I was crying?

He reached over and wiped away a tear that had made its way down my face. He was so close. I didn't know if he meant to be.

Are we gonna...? WE ARE! PANICKING! "Thanks, Dorian. You're a really good friend."

He offered me a compassionate little smile and I rested my head on him. There were plenty of times we had spent together in silence, but right now Tiberius wasn't here and the sound of it was different. My eyes felt heavy and I'm not sure if I dozed off for a second, but then Tiberius came back and I realized it was almost curfew. I shouldn't be in here anyway, but especially at this time of night. I needed to get back to the Ravenclaw common room before Filch was extra on guard.

***

I was on my way across campus to the Astronomy Tower when I heard footsteps jogging up behind me.

"Oh hey, Scorpius," I turned around.

"Hey, Cindy. It's been a while since we've hung out. I'm guessing that has something to do with our conversation last week?"

"Something like that," I mumbled.

"I'm really sorry about how that went."

"There's no reason to apologize. That's my bad." My cheeks were burning.

"No, really. I shouldn't have said it the way I did. I don't know if I should have said it at all..."

"What do you mean?"

"I was just... trying not to intrude."

"Intrude? On what?"

"You and... Nothing. Just your group."

"You weren't intruding, Scorp. I liked hanging out with you... obviously." I wanted to smack myself. If I had a stupid, schoolgirl crush on an older boy then clearly I liked hanging out with him.

"No, I know. I didn't mean you."

"Dorian? I know he's a little hard to get along with, but that's just how he is."

"He seems disproportionately angry around me though, doesn't he?"

"Well..." I never really thought much of it. It was Dorian. He got angry. He did from the day we met. "I guess."

"Yeah. So I told him I'd talk to you. So that he didn't have to worry about you and I-"

"Wait what?! Dorian knew?!"

"Wha- well- no- that's not what I meant. I told him that I'd make sure you knew I didn't like you. He didn't know I'd make you so upset. I definitely didn't either. If I knew that you felt the way you did then I... You never did anything when Dorian acted like that so I thought you knew that he... I thought you maybe... ugh."

"What are you talking about, Scorp?"

"I thought you liked him. I said that I thought you liked me, because that just made it easier to... I don't know, but I didn't really think... But you liked me? Just me? The whole time?"

"Well... I- yeah..." I stammered in response to his own jumbled words.

"I wouldn't have done that if I... ughhhh... just-" He grabbed my arm and then suddenly he was kissing me. Scorpius Malfoy was kissing me. And it was nothing like I thought it would be. I leaned into it in the hopes of feeling all of those butterflies and sparks that people dream of, but all I could think about, despite how angry I was with him right now, was Dorian's finger swiping away all of my sadness.

Draco's POV

"I don't want to be enemies," she sat down on the bench next to me. The breeze blew my hair and we both looked straight ahead at the children practicing their charms on the ducks in the pond.

"No grudges. It's just time for us to move on..." That would never happen, of course, but, like I said, I can't keep ruining her life. I'd done enough.

"Yeah. But does that mean we can't be friends?"

"We've never just been friends."

"Yeah... so we can try it out now."

"No," I shook my head. "No, we can't." I picked up my things and stood to go, but her hand grabbed my sleeve.

"Please don't. Just stay this time."

I lowered myself back next to her and we sat together, watching the students.

"They're gonna do some damage to one of those ducks someday."

"Eh they're fine- oop spoke too soon." A purple duck waddled past and she burst into laughter.

"Not purple! Can I borrow your wand?"

She held out her hand and I sighed and set my wand in it.

"Don't hurt yourself again."

"That was one time! And I did well with it a few times since then. I'm sure it remembers me." She gripped the wand and smiled, reaching out and muttering something and the duck began to grow flowers from under its feathers. "Aw look at the handsome lil' guy."

"More like a poor, miserable guy," I laughed. "Turn him back."

"Ehhhh, I don't know. Maybe I'll give him some polka dots." She closed one of her eyes and started to swirl the wand, but I jumped up to snatch it from her hand. She clung to it and we tugged back and forth for a minute until a spark shot from its tip and she began giggling uncontrollably.

I looked down and there were blue and green dots covering my skin. "You did not!"

She gasped for air, "yes ahaha. Yes I did."

"Reverse it!"

"Hmm?" She put a hand up to her ear. "What was that? I can't hear you!"

"Seriously! Turn me back right now." I tried not to let her joy break my stern face.

"Gosh, it feels like Draco's right here. I must have cast an invisibility spell!"

"Ugh! That's it!" I scooped her up and walked to the small body of water.

"NO NO DRACO!"

"I thought I was invisible."

"NOPE! I SEE YOU NOW! I'LL TURN YOU BACK!"

"Mehhh." I dropped her in with a splash, but she grabbed my arm and I fell head first into the water with her.

Dorian's POV

I was walking through the courtyard when I noticed two people with their lips pressed to each others'. Two blonde Ravenclaws: the boy with a snake ring and the girl with a loose, messy braid falling down her back.

Scorpius pulled away and saw me staring. My body felt frozen for several moments, but once I could move, I surprised myself. I just nodded and so did he before looking back to the girl that he had just kissed.

I remembered the feeling of her head against me. Letting she and Scorpius be together didn't mean losing her. I would still catch her tears.

I walked the other direction and noticed Professor Malfoy and my mom fighting over a wand. A spark exploded from it and Professor Malfoy was covered in spots. My mom was laughing like crazy. Like I'd never seen before.

I just sat down in the middle of the grass and watched. Perhaps it's okay for me to let my life get a little bit messed up sometimes. Perfection was a lot to maintain. I'd just watch other people be happy for a while.