Chapter Twenty Six

Scorpius' POV

"Sure, but then what if she sends your dad to make the trade?" I asked.

"That's the issue that I haven't quite sorted out yet. The only way I can think of is to be up front and harsh. I'll just say: 'I will not go home unless it is my mom that comes to pick me up' and if they don't listen then I need a way to hide, keep them from sending me to the proper house against my will," Dorian explains.

"And what if they just decide that they don't care and leave us at the other's house until summer ends?"

He slunk down in his seat. "Oh hm. I guess that's a possibility. But they won't be so stubborn, right? They're friends while they're here and it's not like they want my dad or your mom to know that there's a reason they don't want to be around each other."

"That's the thing. They're friends here. What reason do we have to think that they won't just be perfectly amiable, make the trade and return home?"

"Oh, Scorpius," Dorian shakes his head. "Scorp, Scorp, Scorp. It's called jealousy. Seeing the full extent of the life the other has without them, they don't stand a chance. You said your dad despised mine in his entries, right?"

I nodded.

"He was hell bent on keeping her away from any guy but him, right?"

I nodded again. "Yeah, but that was years ago."

"Yes, thirteen years and they couldn't keep their hands off of each other when they got back. Thirteen years and my mom shook you and sobbed, because she missed him so much. Nearly sixteen years now and still she lied when I asked her if she loved him. If it's lasted this long, Scorpius, then it'll never go away. The passage of time is even more proof."

I pondered this for a minute. It was true. They'd been apart so long and it was like every sliver of emotion remained.

Just then, Cindy cracked open the door. Quickly, I turned to Dorian to see that his face lit up like she was dripping in diamonds. And when I turned back, she wasn't looking at me.

"Hey, sorry to interrupt, but it's time for our weekend lunch, Scorp."

"Right." I offered up a smile and packed my things. "I'll see you later, Dorian."

I jogged to where she was and she grabbed my hand on our way to the Ravenclaw dorms. When we got there, we set the food out across her table. She sighed and laid her head against my chest.

"Long day?" I asked.

"I don't know. I've just been tired lately. And I'm worried about Tiberius."

"Yeah, I know. I'm a bit worried too, but you're doing the best you can."

"Yeah... maybe." She grabbed a cracker off of the plate and nibbled on it. Her head stayed pressed against me, but I hesitated to put my arm around her like I usually would. We'd been dating for months, sure, but she felt so far away. So much further than before.

"Hey, Cin," I start, unsure of whether or not I'll regret this.

"Hm?" She mumbles through a mouthful of food.

"Maybe we should break up."

She stopped, sat up, looked me in the eyes and swallowed her last bite of food. "What?"

"Maybe we should break up," I repeated.

"Why?" Extra color began to seep to her cheeks.

"I just- it's not you. I-"

"Don't give me an 'it's not you, it's me' speech, Scorp."

"No, I'm not trying to. It really isn't you. Well, actually it is you. It's entirely you."

"Huh?" Her whole face scrunches up and she seems a bit angry.

"You don't want to date me," I finally released the tension of the unspoken lie that we'd been pulling tight since the day I first kissed her.

"Who says I don't want to date you?"

"You."

"When did I say that?"

"Every single day we've been dating, Cin. Every time I kiss you and you pull away or you wait to do your homework until it's time for our date. I see it, okay? I know you liked me. I know you don't want to hurt my feelings. It just isn't there. I get it."

I exhaled heavily, but she just looked at me, tears in her eyes threatening to slip. And then they do. Like a rushing river, a powerful waterfall in unpredictable and uncontrollable nature. She dove into me, water spilling into my shirt through her sobs and I wrapped my arms around her, but she sprang to her feet and walked out the door.

Cindy's POV

Here I was again, rushing through the hallway crying. That time, my first instinct had been to run straight to Tiberius, but what help would the drunken mess be now? He would have sobered up as quickly as he could for me, but I had no desire to be around him right now. I knew Scorpius would have gladly held me for as long as I needed, which is why I allowed myself that moment, wrapped in him, but then I remembered who had managed to cheer me up the last time I was in this predicament. Who had made it so hard to date the boy I'd looked at longingly for two years. That was who I wanted to see.

I wasn't really sure why I was crying anyway. Scorpius was right. I guess it was the fact that I was in this situation. My best friend was of no use and Scorpius was no longer a confidant. Our relationship, although boring, was at least comfortable. And he was still there. Now, maybe he wouldn't be around at all.

But then I was at the room where I had just been to collect my now-ex and there was Dorian, still spreading out papers.

I tried to walk in quietly, composed, but my involuntary sniffles gave me away.

He looked up and his eyebrows furrowed with concern. I must have been puffy-eyed, blotchy-cheeked and frizzy-haired standing there, but he rushed to me and I threw my arms around his neck.

His hand hesitantly made its way to the back of my head, gently petting me and playing with my braid.

"What happened?" He asked softly, not in his irate tone from the last time I came barrelling through the halls crying.

I shook my head and he accepted it. Then, I pulled away for a second and looked at him. He stared at me and reached up to wipe my face, but just before his hand touched my skin, I crashed forward into his lips. He seemed to stumble back just slightly before wrapping his arms around my waist. There they were. The butterflies.