Chapter Twenty Five

Tiberius' POV

I laid my head back against the cold stone of the castle and my legs bent awkwardly in front of me on the floor. Dorian and Cindy only managed to get a shower out of me about once a week, so my oily fair flopped in my face and I was sure the stench would have been overwhelming if all of my senses were working. Most days I just drank my hangover potion- which I had paid an older kid to replicate so that I didn't have to keep going to the nurses- and went to class. Today, classes weren't in the cards. I had reached a low point of existence, even for me. Day drinking.

Cindy had said it. I was a fourteen year old alcoholic. I was twelve the first time I drank. I mean, how pathetic does a guy have to be? Twelve. I should've been playing with action figures or something and now? I didn't know what I should be doing. I guess that's why I was here. And every day I thought that I would stop and then the bottle was right there and I would think, 'just one more sip, just one more glass, just a little buzz to get me through.' And then here I was, smelly and sticky, on the floor in the middle of the school hallway.

"Tiberius." I turned towards the sweet female voice, partially expecting to see Cindy even though it sounded nothing like her. But no. It was her younger cousin. Nymphadora Potter.

"What are you doing here?" She seemed like she had a ring of light around her, although I was sure that was due to the substance in my system. "Don't you have class?"

"Don't you?"

I grumbled, suddenly a bit embarrassed to be sitting here in front of her like this. I didn't see her much around school. She was a year below us and Hufflepuffs weren't my first choice of companion. When I did see her was when I would go to Cindy's house during the summer. Sometimes she would come over and hang out with us. She did practically anything to get out of the house. Bilius and Sirius drove her to madness.

Anyway, she was supposed to be the baby cousin of my best friend and here she was looking at me crumpled up and drunk. If mom knew what an embarrassment I was...

"Ah, get out of here," I heaved, shooing her off with my hand, but she grabbed it to get a closer look. My knuckles were covered in dried blood. I completely forgot that I'd punched the wall.

"What did you do?"

I pulled my hand away and crossed my arms. "Just leave me be, okay? I'm not in the mood for a lecture. I get enough of that from your cousin." I cringed at the slurred sound of my words and the heaviness of my eyelids.

"No lectures," she said. "Just a friend." She slid down next to me and sat there. I must have reeked and I wasn't sure how she could stand it, but she tugged my injured hand back to her and traced my knuckles with her fingers until I suppose I fell asleep.

I woke with a start to the loud ring of the class bell and the sound of students spilling into the halls made me panic. I shoved the girl who seemed to have fallen asleep against my shoulder. She blinked awake and had to rub her eyes before jumping up after me, staggering down the halls. But then she got caught in the crowd and gave up.

My body spilled into the tub in my dorm and I turned on the water to rinse the grime off. This was the first time in months I'd taken a shower without persuasion or assistance. I just needed to be clean. Just for the day. My senses were beginning to return to me and I had no clue how that girl was able to doze off.