Chapter Thirty

Cindy's POV

Did he really just say that? He loves me? I must have said it to him a million times since we first met. I thought he didn't say it back because he was stubborn and grumpy. It was too soft and emotional for him. But no, there was another reason entirely.

The response should have come out easily. Like I said, I've uttered those words to him a million times. But now I understood that in saying it I had to mean what he did.

So I scooched in close, tucking my head into the crevice between his arm and his chest. I breathed in. Syrup and trees just like his favorite expensive cologne. And of course a little splash of alcohol vomit. A gift from his roommate.

Nevertheless the scent was comforting. The boy whose first instinct was to wipe my tears. My friend. My more than friend? Surely now he would be. Oh I still haven't said it.

"I love you too," I whispered a bit quieter than I meant to. For a second, I worried he hadn't heard it but I looked up to see a smile on his face and his arms tightened around my body. I really did. I'd spent the last months thinking about him instead of my boyfriend. Was that where the feelings started? The day Scorpius said he didn't like me? I hadn't been paying enough attention to the speed of my heartbeats when I looked at Dorian before that.

As happy as I was, it was a bit jarring to be in one boy's arms one day and another's the next. Actually, I'd been in another boy's arms minutes later. It'd been a few days by now though.

And Scorpius and I still hadn't spoken. My worst fears were becoming a reality. He was my friend. He should have stayed that way. But I hoped that if jumping into a new boy's arms the second he said goodbye didn't make him hate me then maybe we could be just friends again.

After a while, I stood up to walk back into the building. Dorian had some sort of meeting to go to, which was odd because usually I was the one with places to be.

I walked directly to the Hufflepuff common room to check on my cousin just like I did every Saturday.

It was funny; Apparently, back when our parents went to Hogwarts, nobody knew where any houses' common rooms were but their own and Ravenclaw's. Now, we all knew where all of them were. It was still forbidden to enter each other's but that stopped no one.

I spun around and Nymphadora was walking up with a big jacket over what looked like a tight dress. I could barely see the bottom of it poking out under the jacket, that was how short it was. And not just any jacket. Tiberius' jacket which he won at some handwriting contest in second year. And there he was right behind her.

"What the bloody hell?"

"Cin, I-"

"What do you think you're doing?! Did you not sleep in your dorm last night?! Mum, dad, Uncle Harry and Aunt Ginny are all counting on me to keep you out of trouble, Nymph!"

"I know. I'm-" She had her arms crossed and her head down. Tiberius pushed her behind him and she sank back willingly.

"Cin, leave her alone."

"Oh, yes! Yes, I'll listen to the drunk!" He actually looked more put together than he had in awhile, but I was too upset to acknowledge it. "Did you take my baby cousin out to a party?! You thought that was a good idea?!"

"She's not your baby cousin, Cin. She's one grade below us. Don't act so superior."

"Don't act superior? I can tell you one thing; I've never snuck back to my room looking like a hungover little slut!"

"HEY!" Tiberius shouted. Now he was fuming too. "IT'S MY FAULT, ALRIGHT?! I DRAGGED HER TO THE PARTY WITH ME AND I DIDN'T WATCH AFTER HER AS MUCH AS I SHOULD HAVE AND THAT'S MY BAD! BUT THAT GIVES YOU NO RIGHT TO BE A BITCH!"

My eyes dropped back to the pouting girl behind him. "Oh go on looking like a wounded puppy, Nymph. I came to check on you. You think he'll be there? He hasn't been sober enough to form a sentence in weeks. But you two have fun, I guess." I marched off down the hall before either of them could respond.